Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which company makes the best bracket to off set the power brake booster? CPP makes one but it's $149.00 and doesn't have the same amount of travel equal to the stock break rod (or so I've been told), any other company make one that's cheaper and is equal to the original travel. I've searched the threads and can't find anything on this. I may have missed it as I'm fairly new to the forum. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone have an answer for the question above? Or some other solution? I'm building a 1956 Chevy 210 and wanting to put power brakes on it. Again thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
I've used CPP on two different cars. If you don't have a booster already then I would advise buying they're complete unit with offset bracket & booster because they have modified the booster to work with they're bracket. Having said that a regular booster can be modified to work by shortening the rod & removing some of the phenolic piece on the front of the booster I did that on the first car,you just have to be careful when measuring how much to shorten the pieces.I might recommend looking at Summit Racing to buy the CPP bracket kit & save on shipping. Also on my first install I couldn't find any instructions on modifying the booster. I haven't seen any other offset brackets probably all made by one offshore company if you do find another unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thanks. I guess CPP is the only ones making the offset bracket. I had already found out how to modify the regular booster, but was hoping someone else made the bracket at a cheaper price. And it's a no brainer to order from Summit Racing cause everything I order is over $100.00 :). Again, thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,507 Posts
I would skip the vacuum booster all together and go with a hydroboost unit. much better performance and a smaller package

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
The use of the offset brkt changes the leverage applied.
Stock is first class, and the brkt is a second class. This can affect the pedal pressure req'd.
The HB is a far better choice.
Yrs back, I posted the results of vac boosted vs HB. Not sure I can find it again.

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
I fully agree the hydraboost is a far better option & is what I'm have on my own 56 but at quite a bit more expense. Both the offset brackets I installed were done because the cars both were still running original generators with power steering pumps on the rear of them & in both cases had just had most or all the components rebuilt & the owners didn't want to change. To the OP what is the reason you need the offset bracket ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts