Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys! I just bought a used (1996) 35' Pace Arrow Vision Motorhome.Purchased it from the 86 year old original owner.It has 17K original miles and is powered by a 460 Ford Fuel Injected Big Block with a 4-Speed Auto/overdrive Trans.Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this motor/trans combo.I have been a GM guy my entire life up untill purchasing my current tow vehicle which is a V-10 powered Ford.I recently also purchased a Ford Ranger as one of my work trucks but have no experience with the Ford 460's.Seems to have plenty of power and shifts smoothly thru the gears.The entire unit is in as new condition....the generator only has 15 hours on it.Just curious as to any peculiarities or pitfalls of this drive-line.I currently have a 32' Holiday Rambler travel trailer so am not new to RV'ing but we haven't had a motorhome for almost 20 years....By the way,I'll be selling the trailer if anyone is looking for a good deal!

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Congrats on the motor home!! From whatI heard Ford made a mistake by dropping the 460 as the V-10 doesn't have the wheaties that the 460 had. Good luck though and hope you get to put many trouble free miles on it.
Dave

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,573 Posts
I've got a 95 Jamboree on the F+rd chassis with the same engine and tranny. I have had nothing but problems with it. The tranny blew out at around 55,000 and it never even towed anything. The engine is alright, but Ford had a serious fuel pump problem through the 90's till about 98 or so. When the in tank electric pump gets hot it shuts off, hence so does the engine. It has left me in some very precarious places and caused me to pull most of my remaining hair out! After 10 years I just learned this summer about the pump problem. Only about 70% of them have the pump problem, but with my luck it was guarenteed to be me.

I have to say when it runs it runs great and never even gets the engine hot, just that darn pump!

Oh did I mention its for sale!!!!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.....I drove it a couple hundred miles home and it performed flawlessly....but it's cool out....in fact it was snowing:( The only glitch was about 1/2 way home the backup camera went blank for a few minutes,then came back on....not sure what's up with that? I'll keep those malfunctions in mind if it ever strands me along the road....I hope not as I have VERY LITTLE hair to pull out:D

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a 97 Southwind on that sorry F-53 chassis. My 460 has about 33,000 miles on it now, and the only problem that I have experienced is a rear main seal leak.

The 460 is a gutless wonder. My old Pace with the 454 would run away and hide from the Ford...
That said, the big problem is getting it to go straight. I have upgraded the tires, added a Davis Tru-trak(a panhard rod) and Safe-tee-steer (a steering shock absorber) and it still won't go straight.

It is like the cheapo cars that we used to buy with a worn out steering box...I crank the wheel left until I feel resistance, then crank it back to the right when the rig starts to go left..this happens , oh, 50 times a mile !!!! I have had it in three different front end shops and it still isn't right. NEVER will I buy a Ford product again.

BTW, I have talked with a couple of guys who have the same MH that I have except they are on GM Chassis, and they have NO complaints, plus they seem to get a mile or so per gallon more than I do (8MPG is a GOOD number).

The V-10 Fords pull better, but they get worse mileage.
If I can get this thing to go straight, I will add a Banks kit to up the power...til then, it stays stock.

Oh yeah, back up camera...It is probably a loose ground or coax cable. Mine is set up to come on automatically when I shift to reverse, so I generally run with it in the stand-by position. If someone is so close behind me that I can see them on the screen, I don't want to know about it !!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts