Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an oil pan leak, don’t remember if I used a one piece gasket or not Going to take it down and check it out,

my question is procedure, best way to put it back right .
One other thing it’s an after market pan.
Could it be the pan?

I might have frugal at the time.

after 12 years the 57 is about ready to drive
Thanks

·
Registered
37,586 Posts
It could definitely be the pan and gasket not matched if it's a one piece rear main seal block (85 or older).

From 56 up through about 77, the pans used a "thin" end gasket. From 77-85, they used a "thick" end gasket. The gasket set and pan must match.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could definitely be the pan and gasket not matched if it's a one piece rear main seal block (85 or older).

From 56 up through about 77, the pans used a "thin" end gasket. From 77-85, they used a "thick" end gasket. The gasket set and pan must match.
I think you are right in. Now I have a 350 crate engine. I like the chrome type pan. What would be best pan gasket.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Big question is your crate engine a one piece or older style 2 piece style rear main seal. The one piece rear main blocks used to my knowledge only one piece pan gaskets & the pans had reinforcements pieces on the pan rails. Then there are aftermarket one piece gaskets for the older style 2 piece mains. As Rick stated the pan & gasket have to match thin or thick for the front lip to seal to the timing cover. One other thing I've had happen the aftermarket timing covers chrome & even painted are junk the lip on the inside of the cover is only tack welded in a few places where the original timing covers lip was fully welded to the cover this allows oil to leak between the cover & the lip that retains the front seal unless a bead of silicone is ran to seal the welded lip to the outer cover. Best solution pitch the pretty chrome cover use a original or best yet buy a cast aluminum timing cover for a good seal.

·
Registered
68,449 Posts
make sure its the oil pan that's leaking when you get under there.

Reactions: 56ls408
1 - 6 of 6 Posts