Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys using for an oil pan. I'm in the process of putting an 02 5.3/4l60E into my dads 55 BelAir. On my 69 Camaro the truck pan is too deep(hangs too low). Just curious as to what pan works on the shoeboxes, car has a uni-steer power rack on it if that makes a diff. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have the Moroso # 20431 for my big block (notched rear sump). Part # 20212 is for the small block. Summit or Speedway for around $200.00:anim_25:

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,388 Posts
What are you guys using for an oil pan. I'm in the process of putting an 02 5.3/4l60E into my dads 55 BelAir. On my 69 Camaro the truck pan is too deep(hangs too low). Just curious as to what pan works on the shoeboxes, car has a uni-steer power rack on it if that makes a diff. Thanks in advance
The Hummer H3 LH8 5.3L pan will clear the stock steering. But it hangs low not bad if the car isn't lowered. Its just like the truck pan but the sump is narrower in the front.

Its the same as the GMPP swap pan they sell in kit form.
GM PART # 19212593
CATEGORY: Engine Oil Pan/Reinforcement
PACK QTY: 1

The other option is to have an F-body pan modified by S&P

Or try the RetroLSX oil Pan http://www.retrolsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110
Which I have yet to seen any of these yet! He says he has them.

·
Registered
37,977 Posts
As said the Hummer pan is usually too deep for a lowered car.

S&P modifies a Camaro pan to fit nicely.

There are some sheet metal pans out there now too.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
MAST makes 1, Retrolsx has 1...
W/ a r/p, I'm not so sure a F-body pan wouldn't work without being cut...

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,812 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,812 Posts
David i believe that is a horse of a different color, and won`t even start to work. :D....Terry
Kinda' thought so, after I posted.....Thought I'd throw it out there anyway.....Worse case: I'd learn something....Whole different generation of SBC than what I'm used to.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
there was a thread on this last year, maybe the beginning of this year. someone posted 2 pans. in the pick, the bottom of the pan was higher, not as steep of an angle back to the sump. it was stated that with that pan, you could drop it, by only removing the center-link. i printed it. it`s at home in the tool box. i`ll write tomorrow on where to find it here.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I have the Moroso Tri-5 LS Swap oil pan.

Charlie

·
Registered
510 Posts
the street and performance pan (modified 98-02 camaro pan) is a good choice. if i were using it i would also use their engine mounts. several people have used the h3 pan but it measures a little over 7 inches deep and is the same depth as the truck pan. hangs down alot. i was able to use a corvette pan but i have a crossmember alot like a mustang II.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,388 Posts
MAST makes 1, Retrolsx has 1...
W/ a r/p, I'm not so sure a F-body pan wouldn't work without being cut...
Is the MAST pan in production yet?

I know the RestroLSx pan would be a nice fit and a decent price. I know he has done one run of them not sure if he has any on hand though.

But for the price the Hummer pan really isn't that bad on a stock car.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
I think

there was a thread on this last year, maybe the beginning of this year. someone posted 2 pans. in the pick, the bottom of the pan was higher, not as steep of an angle back to the sump. it was stated that with that pan, you could drop it, by only removing the center-link. i printed it. it`s at home in the tool box. i`ll write tomorrow on where to find it here.
those were my pics.. Still have them if someone wants me to email them.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
That's what..

Is the MAST pan in production yet?

I know the RestroLSx pan would be a nice fit and a decent price. I know he has done one run of them not sure if he has any on hand though.

But for the price the Hummer pan really isn't that bad on a stock car.
I'm using w/ 2" dropped spindles and new, uncut springs...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here is a picture of the Hummer Oil Pan on my LS:

I measured 7.5" from the top of the pan to the bottom of of the oil plug. The Moroso 7qt is 6" (and twice as much without a pick-up and gasket you get in the GM kit). There is at least 1 inch of space from the oil pick-up to the bottom of the pan, so I have some room to cut it down, if needed.

I guess the question is how much clearance do you need? If you were local, I have a new Hummer oil pan that I used to fit check you could borrow.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts