Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well buddy showed me his lifter he took out of a 350. He said it had a lifter tick. I would say so. lol

As far as he knows never ran oil with zinc in it, said always just ran whatever was on sale. Motor is original. And so been run at least 15-20yrs, I guess with wrong oil. This was the worst lifter the rest had started to wear the same way. I never seen one this bad but LS motors are all roller any way. So reason number 874 to have a roller cam.

Automotive tire Fluid Liquid Rim Asphalt
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
On the other hand I have an 88 Chevy 305 with a flat tappet that has over 300K on it, and have never ran zinc in it as far as I can remember. It still runs fine whenever the EFI isn't screwing up. lol

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,527 Posts
On the other hand I have an 88 Chevy 305 with a flat tappet that has over 300K on it, and have never ran zinc in it as far as I can remember. It still runs fine whenever the EFI isn't screwing up. lol
Actually you probably ran zinc and did not know it. up until about 10 yrs ago all motor oils had a high amount of zinc in them.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Supposedly this is not the stock cam and lifters. What is know is the original owner put a larger cam in it when truck was new. Its a 1985 K10. So if they did a cam swap and reused original lifters maybe? Also engine is pretty clean inside no sludge.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah most oils had plenty of zinc up intill the 2000's. How may miles on it since then and what oil do you have in it now?

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Yeah most oils had plenty of zinc up intill the 2000's. How may miles on it since then and what oil do you have in it now?
Could be. All I've ever run in it is the 'ash' from off the shelf Pennzoil as far as I remember. It's possible that I might have run the cheapy store brand now and then, like Kragen brand.

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Another thing I just remembered is that for decades I always ran Fram oil filters too. That is until the bad reports about them started showing up here. I never had any trouble that I can remember though.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
May not be any sludge but there is a ton of metal in there now that shouldn't be there.
Yeah I told him I would drop pan clean and change oil pump while in there. Then run and change oil after few hundred miles.

Issues with fram Filters was cheap construction. If you change oil every 3k miles then the filter gets change be better than nothing. I run wix or napa gold (made by wix)

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
10,416 Posts
Well buddy showed me his lifter he took out of a 350. He said it had a lifter tick. I would say so. lol

As far as he knows never ran oil with zinc in it, said always just ran whatever was on sale. Motor is original. And so been run at least 15-20yrs, I guess with wrong oil. This was the worst lifter the rest had started to wear the same way. I never seen one this bad but LS motors are all roller any way. So reason number 874 to have a roller cam.

View attachment 355987 View attachment 355988
Cat Carnivore Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Whiskers

·
Premium Member
1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe
406 Posts
I used Brad Penn until it became too hard to find around here. I'm now using Valvoline VR 1.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Luckily the guts didn’t burp out ….. how bad was the lobe on the cam ? That thing needs to be made into a trophy for most wear without a catastrophic event!
I use Engine Pro-4oz zinc additive and from the looks of that I’m going to keep using it never seen anything that bad thanks for sharing.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He
Luckily the guts didn’t burp out ….. how bad was the lobe on the cam ? That thing needs to be made into a trophy for most wear without a catastrophic event!
I use Engine Pro-4oz zinc additive and from the looks of that I’m going to keep using it never seen anything that bad thanks for sharing.
He is bringing me the can when he pulls it out. He said thar lobe was bad.

I never seen one this bad. As bad as that on is He said still ran and drove just ticked will bad. 😮

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
He

He is bringing me the can when he pulls it out. He said thar lobe was bad.

I never seen one this bad. As bad as that on is He said still ran and drove just ticked will bad. 😮
At the very least it was still spinning😵‍💫, I’m also curious about the lash she had to be clapping like crazy! I would have investigated sooner for sure, but sometimes we do get busy
I’m tuned…….

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
At the very least it was still spinning😵‍💫, I’m also curious about the lash she had to be clapping like crazy! I would have investigated sooner for sure, but sometimes we do get busy
I’m tuned…….
They quit driving it and parked it when it got “bad” guess we now know what bad is, 😂.

I wonder what the base thickness of a SBC hydro lifter is err was?

·
Premium Member
14,527 Posts
I bet the main and rod bearings have trash in them now.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Working in GM dealerships in the early 70s I saw a lot of failed camshafts & lifters but Never Ever one that was worn enough to have a hole in the bottom of the lifter I'd be really concerned on the main & rod bearings & possible scouring on the crank if it were mine. To me it wouldn't be worth the cost of a set of bearings & oil pump to feel better about it living.

·
Premium Member
14,527 Posts
Working in GM dealerships in the early 70s I saw a lot of failed camshafts & lifters but Never Ever one that was worn enough to have a hole in the bottom of the lifter I'd be really concerned on the main & rod bearings & possible scouring on the crank if it were mine. To me it wouldn't be worth the cost of a set of bearings & oil pump to feel better about it living.
At some point the filter starts to bypass, they never filter 100%. them metal is going everywhere. having lived thru this once myself I would do a full tear down. it is needed in this case. metal debris is everywhere in this engine now. debris is embedded in the piston skirts in ALL the engine bearings and covered through out the entire engine. a full tear down is needed to be able to properly remove all the metal.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts