Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I would pay 5 times more if the part fits better.

Every Golden Star part I have bought needed major modifications to make them fit or look close to OEM.

I have been to car shows and I can point out Golden Star parts 100 yards away which isn't a good thing.

·
Registered
38,755 Posts
I can tell you from experience that the EMI (Sherman) dogleg (part shown in the link) is a pile of crap. To make it work and fit, you have to cut it up and weld it in a couple of places. Their inner dog legs are even worse. On the other hand their tail pan, tail pan brace, and last 10" trunk floor pieces are good parts that you can use directly.

The Golden Star doglegs can't be worse, just different.

·
Registered
615 Posts
So if one guy says his Golden Star parts fit nice and mine are POS that don't fit or resemble the OEM parts by any stretch of the imagination, does this mean they sold me their rejects??????
Nope! It means he's one of the guys whose car you're spotting at shows, that isn't as picky as you or me. I guess for a lot of people close is good enough.

I've used mostly Sherman which I guess are made by EMI (according to Rick L) and I haven't installed one panel without doing some sort of fix or mod.

Ernie

·
Registered
718 Posts
I am using the golden star 55 sedan quarters and have the same problems as mentioned. It would be major extra work to get the rear wheel opening correct and I had to splice in the old bumper area because that is so incorrect. Overall, it takes a lot of work to make these look right.

Also, the belt line trim area is convex instead of concave so I used the original.

I can't speak for the Sherman quarters but I bet they're a little better to work with although I've heard the horror stories about them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The two current threads on 55 quarter panels could not have come at a better time. I am not meaning to highjack either thread but I don't want to start another on the same subject.

Looking at the GS wheel well opening on both threads has me very concerned about the GS panels I have on order. I have read on posts from mp&c that the door jam area on the EMI/Sherman panels are not as crisp as the originals.are there any other issues on the EMI panels? Are the EMI wheels welds just as bad as the GS? Does anyone have pictures? I am working on a 55 2 door hardtop but I suspent the panels may have the same issues as the sedans.

·
Registered
38,755 Posts
The main thing on an EMI/Sherman quarter is that none of the bends are as crisp as factory.

The rocker area on mine was not bent far enough. After screwing around with trying to make a tool to assist in bending it, I went to plan B and made lengthwise cuts in the peak of the bend, 3" long, 4" apart. I was able to then bend it by hand to the correct contour. After the panel was on the car I welded up the cuts and dressed the welds.

I bumped out the wheel opening contour to make it look more like stock, then used filler to finish it off. It looks close to stock now.

Since my car is a sedan and the door jamb is different anyway, I just cut it off and butt welded the quarter about 3/4" from the jamb.

I had a couple of spots with some extra crown. However these may have been self inflicted, as I didn't notice them until the welding was complete.

The gas door area was also a bit distorted.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have bought Golden Star for my 57. Doors, trunk lid, front fenders, rockers, Pass. quarter panel, Tail pan. All fit well. Plus they have a whse in the DFW area. So it's a pick up.

The only issue i found was pass side fender where it engages the door at the top needed a little work.

Their Rockers have all the brackets pre welded in place. The quarter panel dropped right into p[lace.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.