Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at some C5 Vettes Coparts auctions list and some don't have keys. Anyone know what if any the process is for getting a new key?:D

·
Administrator
48,747 Posts
Bruce if you know a parts counter guy at a local dealership they may be able to make you a key from the VIN#. If not then a locksmith can make keys for them.
Terry

·
Registered
36,142 Posts
Probably a repossession.

I saw a post on chevytalk the other day where a dealer wouldn't sell a guy a key for a late model truck, even with the VIN supplied. I have to think there was an issue that was unsaid - they should do that under most circumstances. They should be correctly wary that the vehicle is yours, but that should be no problem if you show them an insurance or registration document.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
These are all salvage cars. Some just don't have keys. :eek: I know some auction goers will snag the keys on a car if they intend on bidding on it. Imagine that :rolleyes: The ones without keys do seem to sell for less :tu

I guess if I have the title in hand I should be able to get a key.

·
Premium Member
11,900 Posts
You'll have to let us know if you get lucky Bruce! Of course you know, the older you get, the harder is is getting in and out.

That said. I get in and out just fine. Just the wife that complains. Of course she doesn't have a steering wheel to help her get out.

Don

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got one for the wifes 92 Camaro (has VATS) at the local Chevy dealer. Had to present the title and my drivers license. Think it cost me 35.00? Not sure.
Thats good to know if I end up bidding on a no key car:tu

·
Registered
36,142 Posts
"the older you get, the harder is is getting in and out."

Some days I think I'd love to have a Corvette, but I agree, it's tough for me to get in and out. Feel like I'm in a bathtub when I'm in one, but the bathtub doesn't have the obstacles. And I like showers for the same reason. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You'll have to let us know if you get lucky Bruce! Of course you know, the older you get, the harder is is getting in and out.

That said. I get in and out just fine. Just the wife that complains. Of course she doesn't have a steering wheel to help her get out.

Don
I know what you mean Don but I'm looking for a C5 or C6 for a donor parts car :happy0030:
I want the drive train and suspension for a new project :tu

1 - 15 of 15 Posts