Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,i have a 1955 hardtop insulation looks to be glued to roof ground most off with air tool and round steel brush ,appears that some is still left pinched along edges ,any hints on how to clean and prep .thanks daryl

·
Registered
270 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but this is important.

I read somewhere on here that the insulation they used back then could have asbestos in it. It was not ever confirmed as far as I know. Does anyone know without a doubt if it does or does not contain asbestos???

I'm considering not disturbing mine or getting it tested unless I can find out for sure one way or the other. That is nasty stuff!

BE CAREFUL

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It may contain asbestos. I wondered about that when I removed mine.Here's what I did to remove it .. I emptied my shop vac and lined it with a big garbage bag , new filter with a foam wrap. Taped a putty knife to the end of the hose .With mask and safety glasses on I started. The crap was all sucked up with no mess in the car.When done pulled apart shop vac and dropped filter in bag and tied it all up and it went to land fill. Maybe some escaped but I didn't smell it or see it in the garage. After being on the local volunteer fire dept. and haz mat team for 25 years I'm kinda leery of anything air born that I don't know whats in it. My lungs are bad enough now ,they don't need anything else causing problems....Be safe...:anim_25:

·
Registered
38,755 Posts
I wouldn't try to remove it from between any braces and the roof skin. Just trim up to the brace.

There is not that much of the asbestos containing stuff there. Just about any precaution is good enough (like a 3M dust mask) unless you've had a lot of asbestos exposure previously or if you have other breathing related health problems.

·
RIP 02-03-2022
50,809 Posts
It may contain asbestos. I wondered about that when I removed mine.Here's what I did to remove it .. I emptied my shop vac and lined it with a big garbage bag , new filter with a foam wrap. Taped a putty knife to the end of the hose .With mask and safety glasses on I started. The crap was all sucked up with no mess in the car.When done pulled apart shop vac and dropped filter in bag and tied it all up and it went to land fill. Maybe some escaped but I didn't smell it or see it in the garage. After being on the local volunteer fire dept. and haz mat team for 25 years I'm kinda leery of anything air born that I don't know whats in it. My lungs are bad enough now ,they don't need anything else causing problems....Be safe...:anim_25:

That was really a smart way to handle it.....smooth. :shakehands:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.