Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took off the headliner on my '57. I saw then that the factory insulation/sound deadener was sagging in many places so I pulled most of it off.
But what's left is really in there.
So the question is, how clean should I scrape it before I can try to attach anything else on it? I mean, is some old glue residue OK or has it to be 'shiny' bare metal? Any pro-tips on getting the remaining stuff off or just a heck of a lot of scraping? A dull flat chisel seems to work quite well but it's not very fast.

Would also appreciate tips on new material. Especially what not to use / what will fall off in a year :sign0020:
I've never before bothered to use sound deadening so it's all new to me.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
roof inulation

I used heat gun and scraper. I had a dust mask on, just in case.
Applied a reflective insulation from Carinsulation (used to be a sponsor). Used 3-M spray adhesive, and it's stuck for a couple of summers so far with a black roof.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
The butyl rubber mat (Extremedynamat, etc) is mostly useful for sound deadening (minimizing resonation noise from the panels you put it on)..

The air-pocket filled 'bubble' type material primarily will serve as a thermal insulation, whereas the foil backing (on either or both) will help with thermal insulation against radiation as well.

·
Registered
65,622 Posts
eye and breathing protection a must. :anim_25:

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
The butyl rubber mat (Extremedynamat, etc) is mostly useful for sound deadening (minimizing resonation noise from the panels you put it on)..

The air-pocket filled 'bubble' type material primarily will serve as a thermal insulation, whereas the foil backing (on either or both) will help with thermal insulation against radiation as well.
Keep in mind that if the bubble insulation with foil facing, that the foil facing does absolutely nothing to reflect heat if it is touching the roof or the sound deadening material. You need an airspace between the two for maximum insulating qualities.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
This has been discussed here before and someone said the original insulation contained asbestos...yikes, be careful!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This has been discussed here before and someone said the original insulation contained asbestos...yikes, be careful!
Yikes And I first just tore it off I took a break after a couple of minutes and put a mask and gloves on. Jeez....now I feel like I don't want to touch it anymore. A bit freaked out right now.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yikes And I first just tore it off I took a break after a couple of minutes and put a mask and gloves on. Jeez....now I feel like I don't want to touch it anymore. A bit freaked out right now.
It's only a real hazard when it gets airborne and into your lungs. Being encapsulated in that tar like goo, it's pretty safe.

Well there is another place it's dangerous, if you are a woman and using Johnson & Johnson talc with asbestos on your private area.

"Johnson & Johnson, a *Family* company."

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I use a long handled razor blade scraper. It gets the smaller pieces, and the adhesive residue. Metal looks to be ready for re-application.
Once cleaned, I used lac thinner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts