Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
If you're runnin those tires in the pic, you'll probably be breaking the Chevy rear before too long. You can run the Olds daily, just like a Chev. Just don't put big gears in it.

· Premium Member
750 Posts
WOW! Brad I admire your ambition...I thought I was starting with a "diamond in the rough" from the looks of it you've got quite a challenge ahead of you. I hope you find the time to take photos of the journey!
Thanks for the pics!

· Registered
2,828 Posts
If you're runnin those tires in the pic, you'll probably be breaking the Chevy rear before too long...........
Don't stand on it and the stock rear will hold up.

Get on it and the rear, drive shaft, and possibly the trans will all go.

Back in the 1980s, a group inside our local Classic Chevy club decided they all wanted to raise their cars up and part of this included putting the rear housing on the underside of the leaf springs. One of these members got on it one night showing off a little. the rear blew, the drive shaft twisted, and the trans case cracked in his car. He was working on the car one afternoon outside and the car leaned over and broke his back. In three places.

I know other members who did this to their cars, as long as they took it easy the stock rear lasted.

· Registered
2,987 Posts
He was working on the car one afternoon outside and the car leaned over and broke his back. In three places.
sounds like the car got a little pay-back, (no pun intended) ............

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aaron and Dawn,members of the Hoosier Gassers car club are comimg up for the rest of the weekend :tu:party0031: hope to get alot done on the 57

· Registered
224 Posts
Sounds like fun!!! Here's a cheap idea for you, you can cut up a metal wheelbarrow to use for your recess in your firewall. Done right, everyone will think you formed it yourself. Good luck and post pix.

· Registered
2,987 Posts
what he said about the wheelbarrow !! works great, and people will think you are a magician !!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.