Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Oldskoolsalt update - body off

165K views 657 replies 113 participants last post by  tibalda 
#1 ·
Making progress - the body is now off of the frame! I have my floor pan, outer rockers, half quarters, and rear trunk panels bought and at the ready.

Now comes the fun part!

Later

Greg

#3 ·
Pictures

Here are some pics.

Attachments

#658 ·
Most of what I have seen on replacing floorpans is lifting the body off the frame. Did I get that wrong? I am keenly interested since I have one to do in my future.

Unfortunately I do find different and opposing approaches. I was watching on a video where the shop lifted the body to replace the floorpan which was bare metal. The cleaned up the mating surfaces and welded it up without any primer between the surfaces. That seemed to be a missed opportunity to me to prep the metal before welding.

Art

#6 ·
Panel rplacement

I figured so, but my 55 frame is junk, rust through at the front leaf spring mounts. I have a perfect 56 frame I will be mounting the new floor to, and sliding under the body for welding. Should workout well!?!

#13 ·
I figured so, but my 55 frame is junk, rust through at the front leaf spring mounts. I have a perfect 56 frame I will be mounting the new floor to, and sliding under the body for welding. Should workout well!?!
Sounds like the right way to go.

It looks like you're off to a great start. That should be a fun project and a great car.

Jay

#11 ·
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, I am having fun with this so far. I just hope I don't get burned out. I can't wait to see a nice looking panel on this thing. There isn't one that isn't ugly at the moment!!

Have a safe and happy Holiday guys and gals!

Greg

#15 ·
Just make sure you add some bracing into the door opening and across the inside if you plan to remove the floor from the body before dropping it down on the new floor which will be on the chassis. You need to keep it straight and add strength when lifting it or lowering it with the old floor cut out.

#16 ·
It's braced with angle iron already but thanks for the input, you never know when I might leave something out. This is my first excursion with a frame off, or any body work for that matter.

Greg

#17 · (Edited)
Old floor gone - new floor going in soon

I cut the old floor (or what's left of it) out last night, what a mess! Can't wait to get the new one in! Going to be a little while though, some major work needs done before hand. See pics. Any helpful hints are much appreciated!

Looks like the bottom A -Pillars and qtr panel inners need the most work.

Greg

Attachments

#18 ·
More pics

I have the new floor sitting on the 56 frame I'm going to use, need to put in the mounts and torque it down. The 55 frame was rotted badly near the front leaf spring mounts. Check out the crude traction bar setup!! All I can say is wow and thanks for making me waste hours torching & grinding this crap off the rear end!!:sign0020:

Attachments

#21 ·
Rebuild begins

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Now comes the part that I'm nervous about, making sure this thing goes back together the way it should. The inner qtr's need some new metal welded in and so do the bottom of the A pillars and lower fire wall before the new floor can go in. I have no experience in this area and preparing the new floor either - for spot welds, etc. I will be doing some research and any pointers are appreciated as well!!

Check out my newest album for more pictures of what i'm up against.

Greg

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Now comes the part that I'm nervous about, making sure this thing goes back together the way it should. The inner qtr's need some new metal welded in and so do the bottom of the A pillars and lower fire wall before the new floor can go in. I have no experience in this area and preparing the new floor either - for spot welds, etc. I will be doing some research and any pointers are appreciated as well!!

Check out my newest album for more pictures of what i'm up against.

Greg
Hey Greg,

There's lots of guys on the site that have done this before. I know what you mean about being a bit nervous, I'm not even as far as you are yet, and I get nervous thinking about it too! Check out a few threads by searching "floor repair" or something like that. I checked out your pictures and it's looking good. I assume that after the floor is cut out, that the inner rockers needs to be cut out and then all of the surfaces cleaned up for welding. I'm still trying to figure it out as well so I'll know what to do when I get there!

Check this out:
http://www.rottenonion.comli.com/2011/05/now-with-more-floor/

He's on this site as well I think.

Dave
:bowtieb:

#23 ·
Teamchevy

Good luck with your project, looks like it will be a nice one!

I hope to get what's left of my Inner rockers all cut out this weekend and then i'll be fabbing some new metal where the inner qtr's and bottom a pillars/firewall need work. It may take me a few weekends to get ready for the floor.

Greg

#24 ·
Good luck with your project, looks like it will be a nice one!

I hope to get what's left of my Inner rockers all cut out this weekend and then i'll be fabbing some new metal where the inner qtr's and bottom a pillars/firewall need work. It may take me a few weekends to get ready for the floor.

Greg
Hey Greg,

Thanks! I'll be watching you get ready for your floor install! Keep the pics coming! :tu

Dave
:bowtieb:

#25 ·
New floor welded in!!

As you can see from my updated Avatar Kaleb is wishing for a ride. I began welding the floor pan in today!! Nearly finished but my welder is giving me fits.

Next I will brace the door openings and then rip out the old junk rockers and prep/weld in the new ones.

Progress is good.........I think I'll have a cold one.

Greg

Attachments

#27 ·
Greg,

make sure you document as much as you can and take lots of pictures, you know I'll be calling you with loads of questions. I'll soon be picking up my floor and i'll be right behind you in my build. It's funny, your pics look exactly like my damage, lol

Keep it up, you're doing an outstanding job.

Dave

#28 ·
I'm right behind you on my '56 project also, Greg. And I'm not far away from you. I'm over in New Carlisle. Keep the pics coming. I'm going through exactly what you are doing. Thanks for the update. Jason

#29 ·
Thanks guys for the encouragement. Let me know if I can help you in anyway! Feel free to stop by and check it out in person as well!

I'll post more pics later.

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.