Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the late 60's I raced a 56 chevy in the mid-atlantic states. It was a 56 body with a 55 fiberglass tilt-off front end (from Anderson Industries off US1) and had a 394 olds with 6 dueces and a B&M Clutchflite tranny. Changed over to a 327 with a cross-ram around 1969. It ran in the B/Gas class at Aquasco, Capitol, York US30,Cecil County and a few others. It was white and named Wild Thing. Anyone from that area (from back then) on the board? I will try to dig up some photos. Those were the days.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
photozzzz

I'll find them. Like most of the things I had from the 60's... they are in a box...somewhere in the house...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I posted a few very old photos of my 56 B/gas. Some photos with the 394 olds and 6 dueces and with the 327 with a cross-ram. Check them out when you can.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What the heck do people do with their old racers after they stop racing them? I have seen a bunch of x-racers for sale and they look like they did 40 years ago. I guess a lot of them just sit in a garage or barn until it is time to sell. You gotta wonder if the owner had hopes of fixing it up or restarting his racing days... then it just never happend. I'm just glad they didn't get crushed... I'm betting Bama57 feels the same way!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Spent a bit of time at Capital raceway in the mid to late 60s. Grew up in the Bladensburg area. Had a friend that ran a 66 El Camino called El Fagoso. Ran a '66 Chevelle at Capital--just for grins a couple of times. I remember Malcolm Durham who recently passed away.
John

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Some awesome pics. I remember when they used to run olds engines in a lot of racers. I had a '57 Olds with the 371 but it wasn't the J-2. My '58 had the J-2 manifold but the front and rear carbs were blocked off.
Dave

·
Registered
381 Posts
We ran a '56 6 passenger wagon in C/MP at 75-80, Capitol, Budds Creek, and once at Aquasco. Car's name was Legal Tender (it was painted the same green as the back of a dollar bill)...432ci BBC with a tunnel ram, engine was built by Pete Barrett, Electronic Balancing Service in Georgetown (D.C.)...never could get that car to run any better than 11 flat on a 10.8 record, but it was right at 128 which was the NHRA record...

Many, many memories of the D.C. area tracks, Malcolm Durham, Mousie Brown, Fritz Wray, the Jelly Bean of Carlton Phillips with whom I shared a garage for a while, the D-Kon Duster Camaro...and of course all the S+S guys, and Gene Calhoun's Arapahoe Pontiac...

Then I moved on to A/S with a '66 SS396 Chevelle...I'd milled out the dummy hood scoops in the chrome pieces, and had removed the metal behind them in the pot metal hood bezels...made my way through the class at Aquasco when my competition for the class win noticed what I'd done to the hood...he whined to the officials and they DQ'ed the car...I never went back to Aquasco after that...Capitol and 75-80 were the tracks I preferred...except for the highway (I think it was 3 or 301) from 50...in the right hand lane all the truck traffic had caused the asphalt to sink into tire ruts and flat towing was super spooky if you weren't in the passing lane...

aaah memories: when drag racing was a local and affordable form of racing...when the real money was on the street...

Paul

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I grew up watching "The Folsom Flash" Bob Bunker out of Folsom, Ca. driving a green '55 sedan and "The worlds Fastest '55" Dave Riolo of Riolo's Racing engines driving a white '55 sedan out of Roseville, Ca. my current home town. I love the look of the old gas cars. In the middle seventies I was in the process of altering my 2-door sedan with an olds rear and a straight axle. The car was stolen from San Jose, Ca., where I grew up, driven to Oakland, Ca. and stripped. Speaking of TriFive Race cars......look-up Monty Berney on the internet. There is a video of his six-second 210 sedan.

Here's the link.

hope you enjoy it!
Tom (55fazzi)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 57 Was Raced in Western Id

If anyone has pics of my 57 in the mid 60 around the boise id area. I would love to here from you. My dad's car name was BANZIA. Mainly ran Firebird and thunder ridge in Idaho. Even if you saw the car run I would love to here from you. If anyone has pictures of the car runing you can send them to me direct at [email protected].

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey im looking into a 394 Olds build, dont know much about them. Can you tell me what your setup was, anything you remember about the engine, and what it would ET?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Does anyone know what has happened to the yellow 57 that was called Thundercraft? I did see it in the early 90's at a track here in Kentucky. Haven't seen it since.

·
Registered
133 Posts
THE THUNDER CRAFT 57 ALONG WITH BUNKERS 55 , RIOLA'S AND CARPENTORS 55's ALL MORPHED INTO PRO MODS AND BECAME ALMOST UNDISTINGISHABLE AS TRI FIVES. PICTURE A CURRENT PRO STOCK CAR WITH TRI FIVE SKIN FASTEN TO IT . THEY ALL EVENTUALLY MODIFIED THEM SELF'S OUT OF EXSISTANCE. IT IS TO BAD BUT THATS WHAT COMPETITION TO BE FASTER WILL DO. LARRY www.llcustomperformance.com

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I just found this thread. Some interesting reading. I wish more people had responded to it with their stories. :(

Two of my '57s raced. (as the guys from CT have heard me comment before)
My pink/white Hardtop raced under the name "Mr. 57"
But how/when/where it ever raced I can't say?

If anyone has pics of my 57 in the mid 60.......... I would love to here from you.

I too would love to locate photos of my car racing.

And my 150 Wagon raced as well. I've been told there was an accident once involving the car where it damaged the pass side A-arms going down the track.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
What the heck do people do with their old racers after they stop racing them? I have seen a bunch of x-racers for sale and they look like they did 40 years ago. I guess a lot of them just sit in a garage or barn until it is time to sell. You gotta wonder if the owner had hopes of fixing it up or restarting his racing days... then it just never happend. I'm just glad they didn't get crushed... I'm betting Bama57 feels the same way!!!
I wrote an answer to this last night but the page went "POOF!" before I could submit it, guess I'll try again.

Many of the old racers did get crushed, often the hi-po parts were taken out and put into another car and what was left wasn't worth saving back then. Some were saved in hopes of bringing the car back to life after the kids were raised etc. but that never happened and now you find them for sale. Some did get put back on the streets in one form or another but usually in less radical form like my '57 hardtop with the cut out wheel wells etc. My '57 sedan I built in '72 after my 2nd tour was one of my favorities, the body was swapped for a better body but I still have the drivetrain out of it in case the bug were to bite again but better I'd hurry as it's been 30+ years now. :confused: My delivery was a drag car with a SBC and the Hydra-matic that went back on the street as a semi-show car and then got the 454/TH400 back in '81 when I was going to use it to tow another drag '57 that never happened. :( Now I'll be happy just to be able to get it back on the road at all someday.

Cliff's '55 sedan is still in his garage but expected to come out of it's long hibernation soon as a pro-street car, Jim's straight axle 348 powered '55 sedan is back on the street with his son at the wheel. And the list goes on, some went away during the big 'D' and some still sit. Stew stripped his coupe and put in a straight axle, aluminum dash and homemade glass tilt front but when the drag strip changed it's sactioning body it blew him out of his class and everything went into another car and the coupe got sold.

Back in my high school days and just afterwards I worked in a Phillips 66 station/garage down in Coral Gables, Fla. and it became a sort of hot rod heaven on the weekends. Gene was the owner and a car nut and since I had the keys to the place on Sunday it was 'open' only for us to work on our cars and not do business. :D Billy the mechanic had a '55 4-dr Savoy sedan with a 413 that was a sleeper with full size hubcaps that beat many a Vette back on the Tamiami Trail, he sold it to some kid (that made it look like a rod) when he started stuffing a Caddy V8 into a Humber sedan. Doug had the misfortune of driving our J2 '55 Olds hardtop one night on the interstate and while trying to catch me heading north to the track made it a drop top when some tourist cut him off and he flipped it in the median. The same Olds was still being driven w/o top by Dave (who worked at the same station) two years later and when he went into the service the guys that bought it remembered it well and were happy to get it. There was another guy that came in there and hung out with us that had a hot '58 Vette and was building a gold MG TF with Vette running gear called 'Goldfinger' to beat his own Vette, he shifted both car's stick tranny's with an artificial hand shaped to drop over the shifter knob. Pure class.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I remember a lot of local cars ,but have no idea what ever became of them. I worked in a gas station on Route 1 just out of Boston and we had a mechanic there who made more racing Saturday night than he made at the gas station all week. He ran a 52 Chevy business coupe with a 283, fenderwell headers , 3 speed trans. Guys came from all over to run him.. Last I heard he had a straight axle and glass nose on it but that was back in the 70's.
Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts