Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

On Acceleration rear dips to the right.

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  1956 Sedan Delivery 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I inherited a 56 that my Dad built.

I have a concern as soon as I give it a little power the rear end feels like it pulls to the right. In fact, I can feel the whole car torque or twist to the side. Possible to feel it with even moderate acceleration while upshifting.

The car has a powerful 427, 5 sp, 9 in rear.

It has the old school traction bars where there is a single bar that appears to be welded to the front eyelet area.

I am wondering if this is common for the amount of torque with this kind of engine in such a chasis? Or is this just leaf spring bind?

I last drove the car in 2008, although I don't recall it feeling the same, I am sure that I was also driving it much easier overall.

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Wes , I would check you rear suspension carefully. i would be looking for a bent or broken rear leaf spring. If the traction bars don't work well and you get any wheel hop on accelleration, you can break or bend something very easily. this is the voice of experience to both.

#4 · (Edited)
I'll take some pictures of the rear later today.

Just a boat like feeling as it dipps and sways to the right.

I see, so it sounds like perhaps in the past there was this massive launch which possibly busted a leaf or somthing somewhere.

In turn, the ride height and etc seem fine, but once I put some torque on it, it becomes obvious.

#5 · (Edited)
I don't see any obvious broken leafs, but I do see a crack by the front leaf spring mount. I am guessing these cheap traction (mcgaughys traction bar style) bars are to blame.

the cracks are visible on the mounts of both sides of the car right in front of the weld.

I am guessing that with the traction bars and these cracks it makes sense that I can feel so much flexing going on.

Attachments

#7 ·
Welding up the cracks, getting rid of the bars you have, and going with Cal Tracs is probably the simplest, most effective way to make things better.

There's probably a bunch of other ways to go, but your choice is the simple straightforward one that will work.

#17 · (Edited)
My 56 also used to have this problem with a 427 and auto.
The comentator at the drags used to call me the bumper king. lol
At times the bumper used to hit the ground on the right rear side.
I think it was a bit soft on that side. I added a couple of extra leafs.
Mind you this was back in about 1993 so dont take notice of the date on the photo.
It now launchs nice and straight with both wheels off the ground.
Notice no traction devices and big fenderwells allthough they are a bit hard to see with all the dirt.

#20 ·
yea, and the driver is on the wrong side too!!!! he he he

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.