Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am modernizing my ’55 Bel Air.

I am on the hunt for a modern style and size steering wheel to go with an aftermarket column.

I would like something that does not look like a race car wheel or something you might find in a street rod. I also don’t want one that looks like it should have an air bag in it.

Something that looks current yet not so modern that it looks totally out of place.

In the end I think it’s going to need to be a custom wheel but maybe I missed something.

Thanks!

·
Registered
946 Posts
When in doubt, I have always leaned toward the 69-75 Corvette steering wheel. Why? Doesn't block the gauges, like the twin crossed flags on the horn button, has the right dish to it, and it screams CHEVY.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Along the above line, there are the reproduction optional wheels offered on chevrolets. 1964-66 two-spokes and 67-72 three-spokes offered in a number of vinyl colors or simulated wood. The timeless red-white-blue bowtie horn caps are nice.
I can dredge up a picture of a nice '55 Nomad with a red interior and one of these wheels in matching red...very nice. If interested I'll post it.
JR

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I can dredge up a picture of a nice '55 Nomad with a red interior and one of these wheels in matching red...very nice. If interested I'll post it.
JR
Thanks but that's ok I know what it looks like. Maybe others might want to see it. I once had a car with a blue wheel and interior. A wheel I have seen that I kind of like in a '55-/57 is a late '50s Vette flat 3-spoke. But for my '55 its' a stock BA wheel on a tilt column. Still have the hub for it. I have a reproduction Camaro walnut one for one on my cars, but its still in the box. I am looking at going another way on that one. It's a bit involved. Had to modify the wheel to fit and pass horn contact. Then had to turn a contoured transition adapter to mate the wheel hb diameter to the column housing diameter nicely. Both of the above are complete but haven't figured out to make the horn wing work. So what is it? a '40 Chevy SD wheel on a GM van tilt column.

·
Registered
736 Posts
59/60 Impala steering wheel. Not to modern and classy looking.
I already have one with a new horn ring, I will probably put one of he wheelskins leather covers on it when the time comes. To me it is the prettiest steering wheel ever made.

·
Administrator
63,399 Posts
You can also either have your original reduced, or purchase a reduced looking original style wheel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts