Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got one side front end components removed today. Too sore to go any farther today. Had one heck of a time getting the ball joints removed. While I was looking for my spring compressor I found anothe new set of front springs. compared one I remvoved and one of the new set and putting them sidew by side I couldn't tell any difference. Now I don't know what to do. Back when I started this project I didn't know wether to go big block or small block. I might have bought a set of springs to go either way.
The springs that were in the car squashed the upper bumpers even with the engine and trans in the car and sheet metal on so I'm thinking lighter springs or cut one coil.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I put 2" drop spindles and 1" drop coil springs on mine and I really don't think you want to go much lower. The coil springs that came out of my car were a lot longer than what went back in, but then I don't think what came out was stock. I have the long ones yet and can measure them for you if that would help... mine is a small block set up

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
My old tired springs measure 16-1/2 long and they're 5/8" diameter. Originally a V8 car. I'm thinking you have small block springs, they'd sag 3/8" over 50 years easy.

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Waiting for parts

Now its just waiting for new parts to arrive. Steering gear, pitman arm and centerlink rebuild kit, 1 upper ball joints, 1 lower, steering arms. The boots on the uppers were split from sitting out doors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts