Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a question for all you computer pros.
Here's the story.For over a month my computer
hasn't been recognizing the tower's two rear USB ports,
the ones that I use to feed the mouse and the printer.
Also no sound.The USB port in the front of the tower
is working and I'm using it to feed the mouse for now.
I've been experimenting with different things.On Wed.
(4 days ago) I was trying the "system restore" option,
"Restore my computer to an earlier time",and selected
the oldest date,being June 27,2013.After it loaded
everything worked again including sound.I reinstalled
the mouse to the rear USB port and it worked fine again.
I used the computer for a couple of hours playing
online videos,etc. and then decided to try a DVD in the
tower.Not only didn't it play,but the computer went
back to the poor state it was in.The restore date that
I used no longer exists in "system restore" either.
I wanted to try to use the option in "system restore"
called "Create a restore point",but I don't understand
enough about it to know what to use as a description?
Another thing I forgot to mention is that I couldn't play
any Youtube videos without the error warning coming up.
I loaded a new browser last night and the videos will now
run but with no sound.Any help or advice,or pointing me
in the right direction on this matter is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,027 Posts
Sounds like you may have a virus. Try running a scan.
It's too late now, but you should only restore to just before the problem occured.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Had issues with a dell comp and we did a factory reset on the phone through dell, about $40 a few years ago. Factory reset puts it back to the same day you first got it. You will lose everything you have installed. Once it was reset we just updated all the programs and added any others we wanted, Worked like brand new after that. :anim_25:

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like you may have a virus. Try running a scan.
It's too late now, but you should only restore to just before the problem occured.
I couldn't remember when it first happened.
So I just tried that date.When the problem first
occurred the computer would shut itself down
and then reboot itself,then after I opened up the
desktop it would shut itself down again and then
reboot itself.I then set the computer to the "last known
good configuration" setting and the computer would
work without rebooting itself,except that I could only
navigate the cursor with the keyboard and had no sound.
I then tried the mouse in the front USB port and found that
I could navigate with the mouse from there.
Maybe it is a virus or possibly needs a factory reset
as metalman57 suggests.Scanning says there is problems.
I guess I'll have to get in touch with a Computer Technician.
Thanks to both of you for your replies and input.

Doug

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
What version of Windows are you running?

Secondly, if you're not familiar with computers, don't do what so many others on here tend to do... Do not download any of the 1000 or so "free" checkers for this, fixers for that or analyzes of this. They all have a reason for wanting you to download and install their software, and it's not to fix your computer/OS for free.

Spend the $30-$40 a year and get/maintain a subscription for Norton 360. It'll be the last time you have to worry about what you open, read or install on your computer. It can't fix Windows, but it will keep the bogeyman out.

Bill Gates recently blamed IBM for the Ctl-Alt-Del function which everyone is very familiar with. Interesting that he didn't understand it was his software that taught every the need to do the 3-finger salute on a regular basis.

Charlie

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Secondly, if you're not familiar with computers, don't do what so many others on here tend to do... Do not download any of the 1000 or so "free" checkers for this, fixers for that or analyzes of this. They all have a reason for wanting you to download and install their software, and it's not to fix your computer/OS for free.

Spend the $30-$40 a year and get/maintain a subscription for Norton 360. It'll be the last time you have to worry about what you open, read or install on your computer. It can't fix Windows, but it will keep the bogeyman out.

Bill Gates recently blamed IBM for the Ctl-Alt-Del function which everyone is very familiar with. Interesting that he didn't understand it was his software that taught every the need to do the 3-finger salute on a regular basis.

Charlie
Hi Charlie,

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition.
I've already tried some of those so called "FREE"
downloads and uninstalled them.They're usually
looking for money to get the downloads at the
next level.I'm skeptical of most of them anyways
because I'm thinking that they could actually be
giving me a "FREE" virus.Thanks for the advice.

Doug

·
Administrator
66,194 Posts
Try clearing any cookies etc, then shutdown & turn computer back on.

See if the settings return, or if the restore point comes back if it does restore it to the point you want then re boot the computer again.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try clearing any cookies etc, then shutdown & turn computer back on.

See if the settings return, or if the restore point comes back if it does restore it to the point you want then re boot the computer again.
Where do you find cookies Angelo?Thanks.

Doug

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Here is how to fix the problem, get the model of your computer, go to the manufacture website and select download drivers for the make and model of your computer and xp operating system.

Once you reinstall the drivers for the motherboard and sound your usb and sound will start working again.

Otis :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
XP Support will be gone soon

You better hurry with your XP downloads. Microsoft has announced that it will no longer "support" Windows XP in the near future. FYI. I use Microsoft Security Essentials . It is a free and it hasn"t failed me yet.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is how to fix the problem, get the model of your computer, go to the manufacture website and select download drivers for the make and model of your computer and xp operating system.

Once you reinstall the drivers for the motherboard and sound your usb and sound will start working again.

Otis :)
Hi Otis,

The motherboard is an ASUS P4P 800 SE and the tower
is an LG.Where do I find the info for the model?A guy
built this computer for me years ago.If possible,could
you send a link for the download of the drivers?

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
You've got some pretty old stuff there. Windows XP Home and a Pentium-class motherboard, I'd say you've gotten your money's worth from it. Before you spend more money on what you have, I'd look at something new. I hope you have a backup of anything you like on there, hard drives don't spin forever...

Charlie

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You've got some pretty old stuff there. Windows XP Home and a Pentium-class motherboard, I'd say you've gotten your money's worth from it. Before you spend more money on what you have, I'd look at something new.

Charlie
That's what I'm thinking.I bought this computer
about 10 years ago.The wife's lap top is an Acer
with Windows Vista and hasn't been a problem so far.

Thanks,
Doug

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
I guess that is why some have problems, they look on a car forum for computer issue answers. You did make one correct statement "if you're not familiar with computers". I have been into computers since 1986 and still maintain and work on them today, as a profession. The best computer cleaner out there is free and the best anti-virus software is free. My 10 year old Dell is fast and I've never had a virus. Norton and Macafee anti-virus programs cause me more problems than any other, I wouldn't pay anything for them. The best thing is to take your old computer to a reputable repair station, or better yet, invest the money in an up to date computer with windows pro and an extended warranty. This advice is free, take it or leave it.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I have been into computers since 1986 and still maintain and work on them today, as a profession.
So am I, and I stand by my recommendations. "Free" does not support a sustainable business model.

Why spend $1 on a 10 yr old computer?

Charlie

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
So am I, and I stand by my recommendations. "Free" does not support a sustainable business model.

Why spend $1 on a 10 yr old computer?

Charlie
He never said it was a "business model", whatever that is. I completely agree with you Charlie, I believe it is a waste of time and money to try to keep a 10 year old computer going, invest in a new one was what I was trying to say. I won't, because I don't have to invest time or money in my 10 yr old Dell, it is fine, and the free A/V protection never gives me a problem. and I don't ask others how to fix it. When I get ready to upgrade to Windows 8, (which I don't like and have it on a laptop, so don't see the need to change out my old desktop), I will buy a new computer and continue to use free AVG and free CCleaner to keep it going.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
"Free" does not support a sustainable business model.
Charlie
My comment was directed toward the "Free" software. A company cannot operate, maintain and update software if there is no revenue coming in for it. I'm sure you can post a reason why they do it though ... :)

For a non-technical user, there's nothing better than paying a software company, a small fee to keep you out of trouble, without you having to do anything.

I will buy a new computer and continue to use free AVG and free CCleaner to keep it going.
God bless you for helping them.

Charlie

1 - 20 of 24 Posts