Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This 55 I've bought but don't have in my garage yet, has the door handles shaved, and is nosed and decked. The battery is relocated to the trunk. The seller has installed a master elec. switch, and a door popper switch in the front wheel well. My question to him was, "how do you get into the trunk (or the doors)when the battery is dead?"

There was a long pause, and then "I'm still thinking about that." There was then some talk about hooking jumper cables to the starter terminals to restore power. Keeping in mind that this car is finished, what might be a solution to this issue? I think a 90% solution lies with getting into the trunk where the battery is located.

Maybe a short cable thru the trunk floor to release the trunk floor mounted part of the latch mechanism? I'm all ears....

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
Many alternatives/solutions - In the past, I have used these quick couplers. I located them in a un-noticeable location and kept it capped until needed. You have a jumper cable with the other half - connect to a battery and your off. I know, what if you're out and away from the shop/home? Depending upon how the car is setup, you could possibly store them behind the seat. Ok, OK, I know - How am I getting into the car if the doors are locked and the battery is dead? A release cable for the trunk as you mentioned (Astro Van unit in the gas cap area).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that. The reason I'm thinking some kind of a manual release from below the trunk latch is there is no fuel door on the car. The fuel cell is filled from the trunk.

I'm thinking the "loop" part of the latch assembly ( the part bolted to the trunk floor) would need to be changed to something that a cable release could operate. If the assembly were reversed with the operating piece on the trunk floor and the static piece on the trunk lid, then I might be able to something with that.

I thought about carrying one of those portable power supplies, but it would
be inside the car/trunk!

·
Registered
942 Posts
TimmyB... I am in the same boat. Flat Black 4DR shaved all the way around. Just rewired and installed solenoids and wire / pulley mechanisms to activate the doors. As far as entry should the battery die, I am going with a hidden pull. I also have not completed my fuel cell. I would be quite appreciative is you could post a few pics. Thanks...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a pic from underneath the car. It may only be helpful in determining how you don't want to do it. I have had some comments that the fuel line may be too close to the exhaust pipe and that the fuel cell itself might be turned around backwards as the fuel pickup sump maybe should be at the rear of the tank instead of the front.

I am a total newbie at this, so only time and more experience will tell. I'm looking for a picture of the open trunk and will post that when I find it.

Attachments

·
Registered
942 Posts
Your car is impressive. I may never post pics! I was thinking about making a trap door that would be lifted to expose the tank filler neck. Are you concerned with the smell of fuel / ventilation? Also, it looks like you replaced the rear suspension. I am looking at doing the same this winter via a ClassicChevy offering (shock & pan bar, QA1 shocks) - http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-r...mepage_Featured_Category_Suspension+&+Chassis

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just bought this car, and it is being shipped from Ca. I have no idea what I'm in for, and can take no credit for anything done to it. The rear has coil overs and a custom built 4 link set up. The front is a Fatman Mustang ll clip. I hadn't thought about fumes, either. I've seen other cars with this setup, so there must be a venting system outside the trunk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts