Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 110 volt MIG welder. I have a flux core now and its time to upgrade to start learning how to do some nicer welds as well as have something that I can weld sheet metal with.

I was about to buy the Eastwood 135A based on some decent YouTube reviews. It was between that at $329 and the Harbor Freight Titanium 140 at $419. The Eastwood comes with a 3 year warantee and the HF is 90 days unless you buy an extended plan. This also had me leaning toward the Eastwood, but when I went to check out they popped in $50 shipping! WTH!?! I'm sure its still a decent deal but it made me stop, hold off, and continue my research rather then pull the trigger. I also just missed the welder being on sale for $289.

Anyone have experience with either of these welders or another one under $500 that you would recommend I look at before making my decision?

Thanks,

·
Registered
35,853 Posts
You say you have a flux core welder now. Have you looked into upgrading it to mig?

I would also price some name brand welders such as Miller, Hobart (which is made by Miller), and Lincoln.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I have small medium and large migs. Small is Lincoln and other two Century, have had good luck with all.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You say you have a flux core welder now. Have you looked into upgrading it to mig?

I would also price some name brand welders such as Miller, Hobart (which is made by Miller), and Lincoln.
Yes, it’s an older Lincoln 100 and the upgrade kit with torch, fittings and regulator is $200.

I was planning to do that and when I started looking at budget MIG welders I started thinking that I was better putting that $200 toward something a little more modern with more power. When I asked that question to a couple friends that weld more than I do, they both agreed. Then I can just keep the Lincoln 100 as a back up welder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It still may be better upgraded than a HF.
I’ve considered that but there are several factors that would suggest not.

It’s 100a. I’ve spoken with several experienced welders that tell me I should get at least a 135/140a.

Harbor Freight has their premium brands which (according to reviews) are quite good.

Technology has changed and the welders have gotten smaller and better.

and finally, as i stated. I’m open to any brand. I mentioned Eastwood as well. Just trying to keep it under $500 and based on my limited needs, that should be fine for me. Hobart is another that comes highly recommended and it’s under $500.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
My truly 140 amp machine is 220v. Just cause they call it a 135 model don't mean its truly that high.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking for recommendations for 110 volt MIG welders for the occasional sheet metal projects. What do you use/ had good experience with?

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,619 Posts
Yes, it’s an older Lincoln 100 and the upgrade kit with torch, fittings and regulator is $200.

I was planning to do that and when I started looking at budget MIG welders I started thinking that I was better putting that $200 toward something a little more modern with more power. When I asked that question to a couple friends that weld more than I do, they both agreed. Then I can just keep the Lincoln 100 as a back up welder.

Flux core will weld thicker steel than solid core (MIG) wire. Power you won't really need it you're just doing sheet metal usually I'll flux core thicker metal 1/4'' and thicker but I have a 200amp machine which it limited to 3/8'' in reality with flux and mult passes, thinner with mig. The newer inverter style welders are alot lighter than the transformer ones.

Primewelders flat work. This one is $350 140amp unit, granted they are sold in batches so hard to get. Its $70 cheaper plus no tax if brought from prime, than same size HF unit. And has WAY more duty cycle on 220v that the HF unit. Also has a 3yr warranty. Any issue the fix or replace it.
It is 110v or 220v. Call and talk to them and see when the next batch is coming in.

Unless you're using it to make you money go import HF or Prime. If you like giving money way then go Red or Blue which will be 3-4 times as much and have same warranty typically. For the cost of a Miller I can buy 2 prime welders after the warranty runs out of them if anything goes wrong. .

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Not the same as you are asking about but i had problems getting parts from Eastwood for my 220 v 175 Eastwood mig was only about 6-7 years old & used very little till the last 3 years on off switch & wire amp control finally after 2 month bought both pieces on line not made for the unit but functioned ok They did finally send the parts then a couple month ago the gas valve quit in the middle of welding in mounts on a 55 customer service felt that it was a circuit board & stated the board was no longer available so I bought a Hobart 190 handler I'm not bad mouthing eastwood i've bought a lot from them My only thing was i'd planned to use that $ on a Tig not replacing my mig

·
Premium Member
12,592 Posts
I doubt much that Eastwood builds their own. Probably contracts through China with their name on it. My next one is going to be a Miller dual volt. Welder buddy told me that cheapest is only good til you have to work with it, then buy a better one after the mistake.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just an opinion but I learned a long time ago that you'll be money ahead buying bigger and better than you think you need. My shop has strictly Miller machines because I have had nothing but good luck with them. I have had Lincolns and for me they don't hold up. A small engine repair shop near me has a low priced Eastwood machine hoping to handle his lighter welding needs but he keeps coming over to my shop to use one of my machines due to the difference in the quality of the welds. I use my Tig machine for sheet metal as it doesn't warp the metal making replacing panels much easier. Buy more of a machine than you think you will need and you will be much happier in the end. :)

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,619 Posts
So you let him use your expensive miller for free, sounds like he is winning not having to spend tons of money on one and putting hours on yours. Lol

Again using it to make money by Miller or Lincoln, Hence why “welder buddys” use buy red or blue. If not welding daily you’ll be fine. Most have 3yr warranty use it if breaks warranty it. If jt breaks in 7-8yrs toss in scrap, spend $350 on new one with 3 more years of warrant. Or spend thousands and when the board fails you get to spend thousands more.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Back in early 1990, I built my first and only street rod to-date, a 1940 Ford custom deluxe coupe. Street rodding was very popular here and my buddies had good luck with a Miller 110 volt flux wire feed. I bought a Miller at a local supply store and paid no shipping. I built the car in 3 months (every day 12+ hours a day) and used that Miller day in and day out for more things than I can remember - never had an issue and still have it. Might look into a Miller at a local welding supplier and save on shipping.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
My son has a old century 110v think it's 130 or 140amp used in his shop. I bought it in the mid nineties & myself never used when my Eastwood died the first time I bowered my own Century back to finish up modifying my exhaust pipes after installing a pocket kit it still works great actually I could make better welds than with the Eastwood (probably just me though)

·
Registered
35,853 Posts
Primewelders flat work. This one is $350 140amp unit, granted they are sold in batches so hard to get.
I'll bet a warranty replacement is even harder to get.

I know most here aren't depending on their welder to make a living, but having to wait on a replacement to get here on a boat will be unacceptable for many.

With blue or red, you can get warranty repairs done quickly in most midsize and larger cities. They will also have parts in stock.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The Hobart 140 is pretty decent for the money. Can be found under $500. Tractor Supply will occasionally have them on sale.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,619 Posts
I'll bet a warranty replacement is even harder to get.

I know most here aren't depending on their welder to make a living, but having to wait on a replacement to get here on a boat will be unacceptable for many.

With blue or red, you can get warranty repairs done quickly in most midsize and larger cities. They will also have parts in stock.
Yeah I wouldn’t bet on that, at least with Primeweld, box unit up ship back to them (in the US).

They have 7 days a week support. I called left message guy called me back on a Sunday afternoon. Thats service! They said they pay for return shipping for warrenty repair. The owner, which I talked to before buying my TIG, said if he can’t fix it (at his facility) he’ll send you a new one. You have to wait either way for warranty repair In the end. Try getting support from a local welding place on a sunday if you have a problem and need help, won’t happen. Heck he said if you’re not 100% happy with it ship it back and he’ll refund your money no questions asked.

I doubt a mig would have issues. I have a transformer Hobart 210 I used for 5 straight years making money putting hundreds of pounds of wire through it, wore out the drive motor Once and torch still works today, use it as a back up/flux core welder. He was well used. Most people won’t even use a 10# roll of wire a year. So spend a few hundred or a thousand $ both work one for much less.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’ve had a couple friends that weld for a living tell me that the low end blue and red aren’t as good of a value as the new lower cost stuff out there. They claim you don’t really see the benefit of those name brands until you get to the large professional welders. Now that may be because they are pros and they have the big ones. Hobart might be an exception because they have a MiG around $500. The blue and red brands are $800 and $1000 respectively.

I went to HF to look at the Titanium 170 dual voltage and I asked how much the warranty was and it’s $50 for 1 year and $80 for 2 years. Something about the business model that you have to buy the warranty runs me wrong so I passed.

Thinking about the Forney multi process welder. Might be a good compromise and they include a 1 year warranty.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts