Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I came across this website looking for info/advice about possibly attempting a project. I however, have no knowledge so anything I do will have to be paid for, done as a project by the local community college shop, or done by friends of mine and me as a "helper". I'm considering getting a 56 4dr 210 and transforming it into a black and white police car for our local FOP (Fraternal Order of Police) lodge. The asking price is $2900 plus I need to get it from North Dakota so that will cost me also. I'm just wondering how costly this project could get and if I'm getting in over my head. Comments welcome. Thanks.

I have pics and the seller's description below:

"This is the 210 Series 4 door sedan. Great car to restore. Has a 6 cylinder motor and a 3 speed standard transmission with overdrive. Motor is free so it should run with a little tinkering. Very solid body with good floor that will require very little work. Very few dents. Original paint."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A guy I work with suggested I ask the seller to put it on a lift and get some undercarriage pics.

thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
56 Black & White

You asked how much this could cost. There is no telling what your cost will be. It just depends on how nice you want it and how much you have to spend. It looks like your starting out with a good deal but don't be surprised if you have $25,000. invested. It's not hard to have $50 - $75,000 invested, just look around and see what motors, transmissions, a/c, ps, power brakes, etc. cost.
Good luck, I like your idea of a black & white :)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I think that is a pretty good deal. Car looks fairly solid and very restoreable. Set a goal on what you want to spend, I would think with some help from friends you could build a decent black and white for $12-15k. Or buy Hafrod's 56 for $6500 which would be a lot better deal in my opinion. You couldn't make that car near as nice as his for another $4000. Far as I know it's still for sale. I know the Belair might not make a cool cop car but....

Heres the link: http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/1997049423.html

68,758 Posts
the underside is very important. if as solid as what you can see in pics, its a good deal. you will still have to put alot of $$$$$ into that car, but thats the way it is with these cars. :anim_25:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,805 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
The ad says that "it should run".Well maybe it should but that broken rod or a hundred other things may interfere w/what it "should" do.
Also shipping from ND is going to be spendy$$$.

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
If your not doing the work yourself, it's going to go well over 12-15,000 bucks. It's gonna cost more to fix that six cylinder than a small block V8. If the motor has been sitting for alot of years, it probably has some rust in the cylinder walls from moisture. When you try to start it, it will scratch the cylinder walls and probably smoke and use oil. I have found in several cars I have drug in, alot of ASH buildup in the bottom of the oil pans from ancient motor oils. It could be clogging the oil pump pick up screen. When you start it, it could starve the bearings from oil and trash it. Your going to have to figure in all the brakes, new tires, radiator, gas tank, exhaust, shipping of the car, title fees, engine, transmission, battery, wiring, body and paint, interior, and new repro stuff including weatherstrips and seals. Not to discourage you away from the car cause I think its priced good for a non rust bucket. My 56 that they told you about is a good buy but I'm waiting on a job to call in a couple days. If the job goes through, I will NOT be selling it. Now, don't be afraid to jump in on doing the majority of the work yourself. It is 50 year old technology and it's pretty straightforward work. You don't need any expensive fancy tools either. We all here are willing to help out a fellow tri-5 enthusiast with any problems you get into. Get an assembly manual first thing, it will get you out of alot of jams.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I do find it a bit discouraging to know how expensive it can get. However, I would love to be able to do the work myself. I work with a guy who can do anything mechanical and I know a couple of auto body guys.
When I was in high school my stepfather had a 59 Vette. I helped him do a few things, which means I was cheap labor, but I absolutely loved working on it and seeing it progress from ugly parts to a car that took shape and would run. I could probably get some work done for materials and parts only but some things would probably have to be sent out. I guess i'm just being teased by the low price on one hand, but considering how pricey things can get on the other. Seems its just the way it is.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
And I'm in Saucier if you need some help. I just did my wagon with the help from this forum. Couldn't have done it with these fine people!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I'm in Lizana, just south of Fazzio's on Hwy 53. I heard there is a 55 for sale on Saucier-Lizana Rd. I also saw a 57 on Moran Rd. but don't know if its for sale.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,805 Posts
Ceck your local Craig's List....They pop up from time to time and the distance won't be such a problem.

·
Administrator
67,985 Posts
Look locally get more opinions on the resto part of things be aware these cars for there age have rust issues that need attention

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Ceck your local Craig's List....They pop up from time to time and the distance won't be such a problem.
I agree. Buy something local and running. You may pay more but since you will have to depend on other people for help ,it would make sence to get it as close to what you want as possible.Pay more now in purchase price or pay later in restoration bills-good luck-KB

1 - 18 of 18 Posts