Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a fan shroud from CCI installed behind a Griffin alu radiator. In keeping the fan half in, half out of the shroud, the front of the fan is 3 inches away from the radiator. What is more important, the fan to shroud opening spacing or the fan front to radiator spacing.

Without cutting back the depth of the shroud, I can't have both.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If the fan blade is not located in the shroud correctly, the air flow can "short cycle" meaning some of the discharged air will be returned to the intake of the blade due to the restriction of the shroud. The blade has to be close to the rad if there is no shroud, otherwise the air will not be drawn through the rad.:anim_25:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
without a shroud your fan should be spaced 1/2"-3/4" away from the radiator core. When using a shroud space the fan half in and half out of the shroud opening.

Don

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
My .060 over 350 cools fine with a stock rad, with a shroud and a 6 blade fan from Speedway. 1/2 in and about 3/4 from rad.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Gonna bump this up again. I assume the trailing edge of the fan has the bevel and the leading edge is "square" so to speak. The way I have it figured out the trailing edge has to be outside the shroud to let the air escape on the edges for better cooling, right??

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I just installed my shroud and I previously measured "about" where the fan blade would need to be. My understanding was half the distance in from the shroud to the radiator. So I got a 2-1/2" spacer. Now reading this and searching deeper, it does make more sense that the fan blade needs to be just inside the shroud, as close to the edge as possible, if half the blade is out, even better air flow. So now I need to get a smaller spacer and by the way, I have a serpentine belt (reverse water pump) so that takes a special fan blade too. I suppose I can't just flip the blade over...

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,027 Posts
...... it does make more sense that the fan blade needs to be just inside the shroud, as close to the edge as possible, if half the blade is out, even better air flow. So now I need to get a smaller spacer and by the way, I have a serpentine belt (reverse water pump) so that takes a special fan blade too. I suppose I can't just flip the blade over...
Front half in, back half out, is ideal.
Flipping the fan over will not change the direction of air flow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts