Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Freshly painted cars are showing up at NCRS with orange peel surfaces and getting good scores, so don't forget that orange peel in your new paint job.

·
Premium Member
10,125 Posts
That's pretty horrible! I could not live with a paint job like that. Value SHOULD decrease!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Autorama hates it. NCRS likes it because it duplicates the factory finish.

·
Registered
27,727 Posts
Unacceptable. Mike

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,428 Posts
Looks like my painting skills have been noticed finally :)

·
Premium Member
15,014 Posts
I'm sorry but even the factory can't make them that nasty. That one looks like it was painted with a fluffy roller.
I have a customer with several well documented original late 50's to mid 60's Vettes and none of them are any where near that bad. Most of them have all been shown at NCRS events and have their winning documents.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
Noticeable pit just below the vertical body line and just to the right side of the door jam.

·
Registered
13,385 Posts
I'm sorry but even the factory can't make them that nasty. That one looks like it was painted with a fluffy roller.
I have a customer with several well documented original late 50's to mid 60's Vettes and none of them are any where near that bad. Most of them have all been shown at NCRS events and have their winning documents.
Agree.
Factory used lacquer back then. It never had very much orange peel.
I've also seen many Vettes make NCRS Top Flight without any orange peel whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
C2's never had paint like that. Nor did C1's or C3's Never ever. Just another reason why NCRS is full of crap

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had a Nassau Blue '66 Coupe a few years ago that I ended up tracing the history on all the way back to the original owner. When I talked to him, he said the paint was so poor on it when new, especially down by the rockers, that it was repainted by the dealer on GM's dime.

Rich

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I've been told that significant orange peel below the beltline on two '67's yielded a zero deduct on the paint at the Frisco, TX NCRS regional meet. You can see the muted reflection in the paint below the beltline. The green car to the left was also this way. Now the discussion is where to expect to see orange peel to the '61's and '62's. Wondering if the earlier cars are next.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
tri fives never had orange peel paint from the factory
My Nomad had orange peel. It was rubbed out over the years. You can see it in the mottled appearance of the primer/paint interface of the areas of paint thinning. The origin of some of the orange peel was in the primer surface.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
If lacquer is reduced properly it's virtually impossible to get orange peel. I've painted cars with lacquer and haven't had to use compound, just glaze.

Dangerous Joe :viking:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts