Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, just placed the order today.

Going with one of the Autogear M22W-Drag Special, Muncie design transmissions, assembled and blue printed by Medatronics in So. FL.

It has very similar gear profiles as a M20 wide ratio, but the gear design is same as the M22 rock crusher.
1st. 2.56, 2nd. 1.88, 3rd. 1.37, 4th. 1.00

Drag Special
M22W

New THUST BUTTON Super Case
New iron mid plate
New rollerized and bronze bushed side cover
New Heavy Duty Tailhousing with line honed bushing
Zero rock sliders with matching hardened hubs
All new internals
Hex head sealing plugs
Forged synchro rings
Bronze and nitrided thrust washers.
Anchored countershaft to iron mid plate
Modular DS ( Drag Special Gearset ) with heavy duty 1st gear.
Sealed system with filtered vent case.
Universal Shifter Shafts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I'd like to get one of those one day. I don't do road trips so overdrive aint a concern. I want to keep my Hurst/ mr gasket Ramrod/Vertigate shifter.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have had mine for going on 3 years. I am quite pleased. I also wanted to retain my Hurst shifter which was the first high performance part that I bought back in 1969. I also liked the good choice of ratios. The service was excellent and shipping speedy.
Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I just saw that on one of those Saturday morning car guy shows not to be confused with Saturday morning cartoons. It looked pretty interesting and well thought out. Interested in one myself being as my friend just got his new Tremec and was doing the angry dance when he found out its made south of the border down in old Mexico ways..........:flag6:

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The only weak link left I foresee would be drive shaft yokes or U joints. And honestly I’m thinking that’s a pretty good fuse link. I do have shaft loops so maybe if they did let loose there wouldn’t be too much damage.

I don’t think I have enough HP to really worry about crankshaft damage, other than having a scatter sheild.

My goal is to be able to put all the power I have on the ground and have a reasonably good chance of driving it home. I know most folks chuckle when they hear me talk about breaking stuff with a sub-400hp small block, but when you have a car hooking like this old 56, don’t think stuff doesn’t gets put to the test.

If you don’t think so, just put a set of 11”x 31” tall drag radials on, rev it to about 5,500 rpm and side step the clutch!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Heh....Heh....Heh..... I've got a buddy with a Smokey Yunick 302 just sittin there doin nothing. Just sittin over there in the corner doing nothin. :sign0020: Blake

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heh....Heh....Heh..... I've got a buddy with a Smokey Yunick 302 just sittin there doin nothing. Just sittin over there in the corner doing nothin. :sign0020: Blake

Now wouldn't that be different! :confused0006: Think it would have enough bottom end torque for the street.

Wonder what kind a red line that baby would have, about 7500?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Do you remember Billy in the blue 72 Chevelle at Coker's show? That's who has it. He bought a Yunick intake from someone on this site. That got him the Yunick bug and he bought the small block somewhere in Florida. I'd say with the four speed it would be streetable and I bet it would rev like crazy. It's complete and fresh but I don't know if he'd get rid of it or not. But talk about being old school and something different, that would certainly be something. I bet you'd have to carry extra rockers and valve springs though:sign0020: Blake

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Well, I now have first hand info about Smokey intake and I can assure you that Ol' Smokey's ideas works. My manifold has extra air dams added which are recommended by Smokey himself and the fuel distribution is just great...everything you read at the web ain't true and all the BS about SY1 is one example of that. We did tweak my engine at the dyno but I truly believe that smaller displacement engine than mine (388) would work good with 'out of the box' 750 double pumper holley.

Your upgraded Muncie sounds like awesome box...i would love to have one as well...behind my Smokey engine. :)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man, seems like it has been forever! My new Muncie shipped today!

Guess I better get busy getting my junk to gather to get it in. Robert, the owner of The Clutch Exchange and local clutch guru is building me a custom disk. I want it to have just a little slip but when it sets I want it to lock down.

I'm thinking I may as well go ahead and order a new TruTrac center section with a set of 4:56 gears for the 9" Ford. :sign0020:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.