Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am in the process of stripping my 57 Chevy Belair down. I believe it has the original brake booster that still works great. When I finish the car, I will be putting all disc brakes on along with a sexier looking master cylinder. I'm wondering how anyone finds out an estimated cost for old parts off their cars to sell? I have looked in classifieds and ebay but there are none I can find for sell at this time besides new or replacement parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow my head hurts now. I don't know if I'm just not savvy enough or what but that site is pretty rough to navigate. I went to parts for sale and was only able to find services for brakes instead of actual brake parts for sale. There are almost 150 total ads and 90% are for the same 3 websites... Previously I have checked craigslist, ebay and racingjunk and haven't found anything remotely close to what I have so far. As I said previously, I'm just looking for a ballpark figure on what some of my stuff is worth. Some of the stuff on the car I will be replacing no matter what condition it is in and other stuff, like all the dash parts, I may keep or may sell depending on what they are worth.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
The booster/MC by itself has a value, but the COMPLETE power brakes system is worth a lot more, especially when you include ALL the parts in the system.

ANY original part or system's value is dependant on what I call the Three Cs: Completeness, Correctness, Condition. A complete, correct 57 power brake core in good rebuildable condition is worth from $150-300 today, more if the parts are very nice.

A complete core includes:
booster/MC
firewall bracket
pedal/lever/link assembly inside the car under the steering column
carb tee and check valve*
vacuum hose bracket at valve cover(V8)*
vacuum tank attached to inner fender*
all misc hardware, clips, bolts, etc.

*these items are reproduced, but nice originals are better. Also reproduced are the vacuum hoses with original stampings and the hydraulic line from the MC to the first junction block.

·
Premium Member
5,512 Posts
parts

i have seen them go for 100 up to 400 depending on the condition and how complete the system is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jalapeno for the info. The car does have the entire braking system still intact including the vacuum hoses. I am curious as to where you have seen them go for $150 - $300. And the same goes for the one Bam Bam has seen from $100 - $400. I don't question your validity. I just want to see what some other stuff would go for as well, so I don't have to post every piece I'm thinking of getting rid of that I can't find on classifieds at the moment. Thanks again for all the info you have provided. I really appreciate all the help I have received so far on this site! ! !

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I base my figures on years of buying 55-58 power brake systems.

You will not find a single source for getting a value on every used part on your 57. Knowing such things takes years of being around them, maybe building a few cars, or helping your buddies build cars. As bam bam stated, you can use Hemmings Motor News, craigslist, ebay, etc as a starting point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts