Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the parts to an original or factory A/C unit from a 56. I don't plan to add the AC to my 56 as I have a 327 small block. So I will probably look to sell the the parts. I believe the original factory A/C parts are rare to find for somebody wanting to restore or keep their tri-five ALL original. Does anyone know how much this original factory AC for a 56 is worth, please let me know.
Thanks!

·
Administrator
68,010 Posts
I`m pretty sure the vents are reproduced.

Everything under the hood with new technology from 56 run new compressors & condensors which are much more economical.

Try ebay

:anim_25:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I would put in in your 56. We do get hot here. I use mine all summer. Mine is aftermarket not OE.
Jeffrey

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the parts to an original or factory A/C unit from a 56. I don't plan to add the AC to my 56 as I have a 327 small block. So I will probably look to sell the the parts. I believe the original factory A/C parts are rare to find for somebody wanting to restore or keep their tri-five ALL original. Does anyone know how much this original factory AC for a 56 is worth, please let me know.
Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks!

From listening to other 56 owners, the orginal factory air is super rare and worth big bucks to the right person. From what I have been told even the powerglide transmission is special because it has a sight glass built in the side. Seems when you had factory air you lost your transmission dip stick. Hope you kept all the factory parts. Good luck with your sell.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I bought a '56 Nomad and pulled out the factory air unit, complete with all factory parts. I didn't know what it was worth so I placed an ad in CCI magazine for best offer. I got one call offering 75 bucks. I turned it down.

I then took it to swap meets for several years asking $1000.00. No one bought it. Finally I got an offer of $500.00 and I took it. This was about 2001 when I sold it. Rare?...yes. Valuable or desirable?...I didn't find that to be true. Hopefully, you will get better results than I did.

·
Registered
302 Posts
factory air

The powerglide is not special, only the plate that holds the dipsticl tube is. It is on a different angle so the dipstick can go around the air box on the firewall. There also is a square pipe fitting (sortof like a filler plug on the rear end) that lets you check the level of the fluid. There is a dipstick too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
woops

I am going to rephrase what I said in the last message. The powerglide's are the same on AC cars and non-ac cars. The side plate that holds the dipstick is different. It has a removable threaded plug that is used like a plug in the rear end. You remove it and fill the trans up thru the hole until it overflows then replace the plug. It is full. The dipstick is the same but un-useable because the evaporator box is in the way. Sorry for the confusion. It is terrible to get old.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.