Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hers what happened my Hinges or springs couldn't hold up my hood .
All I did was put white lithium grease on Hinges ,Hood wouldn't stay up .
I couldn't get anyone who wanted the job .
I even bought new springs .Every one wanted to make it a bigger deal than it was ,
Like expensive after stuff .
I found a set of real tight original hinges with springs already on them .
Seams to me this would be the easy to put them on .and not worry about springs that could fly off on a finish paint job I paid 16700 for the matched set ,Some say the after market ones skip and drop a notch on parts .
Like to hear some thoughts on this Thanks Richard
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Automotive design Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
When possible my preference is good used parts. And doing it off the car does seem a better idea. I have done it on the car with no issues - propped the hood with a broom handle but is more risky. My hinges also allow the hood to drop after lubricating them. For spring installation I've just used locking multi grip pliers and stretched them on. Have read where people have used coins as shims to lengthen the new springs for easy installation.

·
Registered
38,751 Posts
For spring installation I've just used locking multi grip pliers and stretched them on. Have read where people have used coins as shims to lengthen the new springs for easy installation.
55 springs don't need much stretch if any. 57 springs benefit from the shim method. Use flat washers not coins - with flat washers you can put a string or tie wraps to keep them from falling out as you add more. Works very well. Don't know whether a 56 is like a 55, or a 57 on the spring stretch.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,392 Posts
"I paid 16700 for the matched set"

How much did you pay???

·
Registered
561 Posts
I used aftermarket hood hinges on my car after the originals made it look like the hood was eating me. I was trapped in between the engine and the hood. The hood latch was in my back. I laugh about it now, but I was sure my wife would find me lifeless under the hood. The aftermarket ones actually hold it up with my old springs

·
Administrator
70,807 Posts
You can replace the springs with hood in position, like Rick mentioned use washers tied together, don't lubricate the springs, there was a thread where a member did shorten his original springs, this worked a treat.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I only see 1 big problem.....the 57 hinges have 1 bolt under the dash and I see you have AC installed. The one on the right side may be a bear to reach, even if you can. Sorry.
Looks to me the bolts are to the right of the AC unit If that doesn't work I could change springs see if that works .Pain either way .With all the street rods out there sure they have run into that problem before I will research the problem

1 - 11 of 11 Posts