Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question get's asked a lot. With all the new, aftermarket parts now available for '55, 6, 7 Chevies what has this done to the value of original parts?

First I realize it's ultimately who is buying the parts as to who much they are actually worth. Some may not mind the part is aftermarket and bolt it right on their car. I know I do have aftermarket parts on my cars. Whether is was availability issues or condition of original parts I too went out and bought the new parts like many of you have.

This weekend is the Cars n Parts swap meet in Springfield, OH. We were there yesterday. I saw a vendor with '55, 6, 7 used parts and was looking at a '57 Wagon rear bumper they had. The price was $395 for this used bumper. The ends were decent, not all rotted out. No mounting brackets. The bumper guards were a mess. Looked like the pass side guard had been used in a demolition derby or something.

Not that I need this Wagon bumper, but with new, repo Wagon bumpers out there, could this one really be worth the almost $400 the seller wanted?

If so, what would the new, NOS Wagon rear bumper I own be worth? I have the factory box the bumper came in and bought (at the time only ones available) 3 edition ends for the bumper. I do not have any guards for the center section even thought I could have bought re-chromed gaurds if I wanted to go on the NOS center piece.

It just makes me wonder if my bumper is worth more then a repo bumper? Again I realize it all falls on "Who" is buying it. What they want and are willing to pay.

·
Administrator
50,511 Posts
RJ i believe this is going to be a very subjective discussion. Personally, if i have a good use original part i prefer it. I have had so many bad experiences with the repro stuff not fitting and having to modify them to make them fit that i like the original parts best, when available.
On the bumper, from what i have read about the fitment of the repro bumpers i see no way the originals can be brought down in cost. I believe the wagon rear and the 57 one piece fronts are going to command the best prices for cores, just due to there scarcity. JMO.
Terry

·
Premium Member
19,484 Posts
RJ i believe this is going to be a very subjective discussion.

Boy Terry said it right there :D, Personally myself too, Id used originial parts also, they fit better, Doesnt matter what area of vechile your working on, metal, bumpers, etc
The best repo, Ill call repo is glass for these classic cars/trucks is www.autocityclassic.com very good product and good company
:anim_25:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One of the best arguments I can think of here is the repo trunk "V" for the BelAirs. Why don't they match the scripts in color?

I know there's other parts like this for the '55, and '56s that people would rather have original versus repos.

Still I can't believe a rusted Wagon rear bumper with damaged pieces on it would bring almost $400 from anyone? I doubt I could get $400 from the two Wagon rear bumpers I have for spares if I decided to flip them? And they're both in better shape then this swap meet bumper. Maybe if I sold them both I may get close to the price of this swap meet bumper.

I know the Wagon rear center sections are a popular upgrade for many who want to remove the license plate from the deck lid. So availability is a determining factor as to what the part may bring.

·
Administrator
50,511 Posts
Still I can't believe a rusted Wagon rear bumper with damaged pieces on it would bring almost $400 from anyone?
Just because that is the asking price doesn`t mean that is what it will sell for.
Terry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.