Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 57 Delivery which was imported from South Africa to New Zealand in the early 70s`.
Does anyone know any numbers built in Port Elizabeth during Tri Five years?
It would be interesting to find know how many RHD of these were built in the world.
Cheers John

·
Administrator
64,171 Posts
Don't believe that any records were kept to identify how many were exported as RHD. You would have some unique features though, the 210`s that made it here had leather interiors (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't believe that any records were kept to identify how many were exported as RHD. You would have some unique features though, the 210`s that made it here had leather interiors (y)
Thanks for the comments, one I have is 150, and I understand it was originally owned - used by the Police Commissioner in Nairobi and imported to New Zealand in about 74` - is has the original Port Elisabeth build tag 1508, [Sedan Delivery] very basic interior, bench seat front, vinyl, 6 cly, 3 speed, its had a hard life prior coming here with suspension and chassis taking a beating. Currently I am restoring it, total body off rebuild, running gear slight change, 265 and 5 speed Toyota Celica box, body stock. I have made many enquires trying to find Nos` built but appears once outside of the States non were kept from around the world. Cheers John

·
Registered
66,313 Posts
sounds like a nice ride, any pics John?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
We have a Sth African member here "56 Crazy" - he may have some details of S.A. production.
A buddy here imported a lot of cars from S.A. some years back and I was surprised that he imported a number of 4 door and 2 door wagons, along with some sedans.
Down here we had only the 210 4 doors and a few 4 door Bel Air sedans and 4 door hardtops. I suppose it was up to the individual countries as to what body styles they built - Australia produced about 2000 Chevys in each of the tri5 years and other counties obviously produced a lot more.

There was a British guy on Chevy Talk who knew a lot about production outside the U.S. - unfortunately he passed on a few years back.

·
Premium Member
4,405 Posts
I heard just last week from another member here that a RHD ’57 Sedan Delivery found it’s way here (Australia) from Chile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts