Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gas gauge flickers back and forth about a notch. Its hard to pinpoint with any accuracy the level on the gauge. Just wondered if anyone has this problem. The gauges are Classic Instruments and are three years old so not the original. Something to do with the not sophisticated gas tank float?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,027 Posts
Is it an original type tank and sender? Does it flicker when just sitting? Does it flicker when it's completely full?

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don - its an original tank but new repro and sender...flickers when idling but I dont think it fllickers when its full. Whats up with it?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,027 Posts
Don - its an original tank but new repro and sender...flickers when idling but I dont think it fllickers when its full. Whats up with it?
Sounds like it might be a loose connection.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
two straps on the tank and its tight...I put it in ...stainless ...
maybe the connector on the back of the gauge is not snug...Ive taken the gauge pod out 3/4 times checking on the speedo that quit (another long story I detailed on blogs). I 'll pull the pod and check it again to make sure its pushed on all the way.

thx for input arc and angst!
Johnny

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh GROUND STRAP....SORRY was on the phone typing reply! no ..no extra ground strap..angst...you think it needs one? I'll check gauge connection first...but never heard about extra ground strap....gas gauge was never steady even with old tank in.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Gone to pot.

If tightening the connections at both ends of the wiring, and providing a sufficient ground to the sending unit doesn't do the trick, the next thing to suspect is the potentiometer in the sending unit in the tank. I'll say then, let it oscillate.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it doesnt oscillate at idle and only flickers one notch when driving so I pretty much know where the gas level is...not a big worry just a curiousity....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts