Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all have'm and they stink!

Mine anyway. Low pitch and a yard full of trees. I won't cut down the trees, that's why we moved here, I will trim a bunch of branches. The roof does get some sun, just not all day.

I had a new shingle roof put on 10 years ago. They put it over the old shingles. Now there is 3 layers of shingles up there. The nails are starting to pop up, the shingles are curling a bit.

I'm not convinced it'll last the 10 years I thought I was getting with 20 year shingles.

Are a complete roof scrape (take of all old shingles) and have new shingles put down my only option? My balance went when I got permanent foot drop so my wife says, with good reason, that crawling around on the roof is not in my future.

Anyone have experience with other kinds of roofs, or shingles that won't crap out?

I can see this is going to take all my spare money away from what's really important...my 55 Wagon!

Thanks.:wavey:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,789 Posts
Surfrider.....I live in a downscale neighborhood......I see a lot going to metal roofs.....That may be an option for you.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
Do you still have receipts from when you put the shingles on? You may get a prorated refund for defective shingles.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The way it usually works is that the old shingles under the new continue to deteriorate and has the adverse affect on the new shingles. You having three layers is the probable cause of quick deterioration. You will need to remove all layers of shingles (even if you install the sheet metal roof). Then start from scratch. GAF 50 year shingles is what I installed on my garage. I went to the distributor and set up a account on my own and saved money versus going to Lowes or Home depot and paying their mark up.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
I put the steel on my garage and workshop. I had an almost flat roof with rolled roofing shingles. Then decided to tear that off and build a shallow pitch roof (restrictions due to upstairs window on end of house above attached garage). Best thing I ever did with that.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
A friend of mine has a "Lustron" home built in 1950... The whole thing is built from porcelain covered steel... Original roof and no leaks... Later, Dave

·
Registered
37,967 Posts
20 year or 30 year shingles is like a 60 month or 72 month battery. They don't last that long, that's when the pro-rated warranty runs out. And you may only get the warranty if you have all the paperwork and get the same roofer to do it again, if he's still in business.

Actually I think the 20 year shingles are the low end. Most are 25 or 30 years - but I think they've also been bumping the same shingles downward over the last 10-15 years.

And there may be something in the fine print about 3 layers and other things that practically reduce the life of the roof. The roof on my house is shingles over that old wood shake garbage, and I'll need to have them tear it all off and put new decking on it when I get it redone, which is very soon. I've put it off too long already.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Nick,I have a very steep roof pitch!
It's an "A" frame type design with the upstairs in the roof,and an attic above that.
The 20 year shingles are 240 Lbs. per square(100 square feet).Multiply that weight by 3 layers and it's 720 lbs.per 100 sq.ft.That's a lot of weight,especially if you will also have a snow load on it.
Mike.:bowtieb::)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Never ever put on more than one layer no matter what they tell you. Would you put good paint on your car over terrible primer? A clean pair of underwear over an old pair? You get my drift! Because we are coastal county we always recommend a good U.L.Class-4 roof down here. You even get a discount on your insurance. Steel will be my next roof.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I recommend putting a metal(26 gage steel) roof on. I did this 16 years ago and it still looks new. I have had five major hail events in that time period and NO DAMAGE. The last one 3 weeks ago did $3800 worth of damage to my 03 truck--but no damage to the roof. Best thing I ever have done to the house.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
3 Layer?

Most roofers in our area wouldn't put a 3rd layer on. It's strip to bare after 2 nd goes bad. I'd agree that's probably why yours are curling prematurely. Strip to bare check decking closely and replace as needed. then good brand of 25-30 yr shingles.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Check out http://www.Duro-Last.com. They offer a single ply (a "green" version of rubber roofing) roof system. Custom made for each roof. Shingle print is an option.

I work on flat and low slope roofs, mostly all commerical. Metal roofs are popular, but making sure it is installed proper is key.

Call two or three respectable roofing companies in your area, get their opinions. Find companies that do shingles, metal, and Duro-Last. I agree with the others about getting all of the old shingles off and start fresh. Find any damaged deck boards and repace them. It's imposible to tell you the right system without seeing you house. Just like anything else, you usually get what you pay for.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
Nick,I have a very steep roof pitch!
It's an "A" frame type design with the upstairs in the roof,and an attic above that.
The 20 year shingles are 240 Lbs. per square(100 square feet).Multiply that weight by 3 layers and it's 720 lbs.per 100 sq.ft.That's a lot of weight,especially if you will also have a snow load on it.
Mike.:bowtieb::)
That you do!

Metal roofs are a good route. There are some products out there that look like Shakes and even the round tiles but are metal. Spendy, but very nice. http://www.metalshingle.com/ http://www.atas.com/Products/Roof/Tile/TechoTile/tabid/98/Default.aspx
http://www.claytileroof.com/
http://www.berridge.com/tile.htm http://www.berridge.com/factory.htm

These products and a good installer will last far longer that those old shingle roofs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Out of interest ... we recently moved to a house built in 1890 ... it has clay tiles on oak rafters. We had roofers look it over, they replaced a few broken or slipped tiles, and the chimney (brick) had to be rebuilt, but they reckon the rest is original.

Like a tri chevy I guess it was built to last!

Cheers Tim

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Just had a metal roof installed on my house, 50 year warranty and only cost me $500 more than the 25 year shingles were going to... Somewhere around 1500 square feet of roof installed for $3200... Of course the price will vary, sometime tremendously, depending on where you live...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man, you guys are the best!

This is just what I needed to hear, personal results.

To tell you the truth, I didn't know anything about roofs 10 years ago when I had the last one done. I was surprised to find out a couple of years later, they just layer that layer over the last. I would have thought, rightly so it seems, taking off the old before putting on the new would be standard operating procedure.

At almost 60, I'm still learning.:):stupid::stupid:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts