Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike you also advised me on this too, so all help is greatly appreciated,

This engine runs and sounds great, hit the gas a little and flames comes out the exhaust and scares the neighbors.:)

That's what is so great about Trifive, you can get great advice on just about anything.

And beleave me I appreciate all the advice I can get.:)

Otis

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Notice the Clearance those headers give you.
They are supposed to clear rack and pinion and 605 etc.

Otis

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Whats the copper colored thing on the left side lower block? Oil pressure sender? Is there a provision on the back of the block for a mechanical gauge? I'm not sure that sender will clear the frame in a tri-five.

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good question, I will check on that one hadn't thought about that, so worried about the headers, mounts etc, I forgot about the little things:)

Yes it is the oil pressure sender

Thanks

otis

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Don

Mike I checked and their is a plug above the oil filter so I will move it their

Thanks

otis

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update on the 454 install

Update on the 454 install

I did get the special motor mounts that moved the engine 1 inch forward.
But I still have issues.

Well here are a couple issues I found on installing a big block in my 57, I am sure most of you already know this, but maybe some new guys might benefit.

1. The fuel pump bowl hits the chassis, so I have ordered another fuel pump with out the bowl.

Here is a picture of the current pump and the one ordered without the bowl.

Here is the new one ordered without a bowl.

Next The valve covers touched the firewall because they are tall.

So either I go with stock or lower valve covers or modify the firewall to make clearance for the taller ones.

So my decision is to keep the tall ones and have the firewall moved back just sightly only where the valve covers touch.

Otis

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I just hope I can get a ride too, It still has a long way to go, you certainly are welcome to have a ride anytime, just take me along.

Still have a ton of things to do to the car as you guys know, it is a long long long road.

THe cross support bar for the rack and pinion is hitting the bottom of the oil pan, so either the bar gets modified or I have to order one of those special oil pans,

Here is the current oil pan, the red are is where the support bar hits, this bar is aftermarket support for the rack.

Here is the special pan that I may wind of ordering in order to clear the rack support bar.

http://trifive.com/mil-31110.jpg
I feel better every time we get a little closer.

Looking at one of those demon carburators now.

Otis:)

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
In this photo you can see the support bar hitting the oil pan, that is the reason for the notched out oil pan above

Look at the little red arrows, they show where the bar needs to be bolted

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
In case you guys are wondering, the engine is just being fitted, and mounts welded etc, it will be removed and then the firewall fraime etc will be sanded and painted.

THe engine compartment will be black, THe exterior of the car with be white with a pearl coat, and then the interior of the car will be a burgany color.

Another Note, I had the standard rubber engine mounts, but I had to replace them with solid motor mounts because of clearance and to get the engine level.

P.S. That ugly old fan etc will be replaced once the body work is completed

Otis

1 - 16 of 16 Posts