Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Crew. Can any of the body guys here give some input. This was My 1st car in High school many here saw my 1st post about her. This photo is when after close to 30 years in storage she saw the light of day.

I started a 5 year restoration. 2 to 3 years doing the frame off and 2 years gathering info and NOS parts. The body was put back on just as she was in high school.. It was like building my dream after all these years. My Hopes and dreams of all the magazines and track time I knew what I wanted. Old school no bullet.. It all just choses I know.

fast forward 2011 Got talked into a 3 to 4 week High $$ paint job.. 2 years later. She is a mess.

Can you guys tell me what does this on the photo buy the rubber? as you can see it was a metal job and yet its a mess every where... What makes these waves Like wet paint and tape.

I have a lot of before and after photos on Face book some one did on my car If you want to see them that would be great. I would love the feed back and straight info..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
wondering if it is some sort of interaction between the paint or primer and the sealant for the glass.

Is it anywhere other than close to the rubber?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi guys

Thanks.. Yes Nothing was installed. WILD was to be painted with out glass.

I ask because I saw the car was painted with out glass.. It seems to have been painted again... and again... Look at these new parts, You see the front end here painted no parts... Then you see over spray on the new bezels.

then you take a bezel off and you see over spray on the head light holder. I had polished that like new... all my NOS screw are gone also...

You can see more @ this link. Goldcountry Autorestorationsscrewedme

I and our 55 sure could use the support with your educated comments on the site.. Because I have a lot of ?s ... How can this be...

The shop owner after repeated attempts to get a hold of them... Said I Owed them $13,000.. I told him I paid them in 2011 in cash. I have over a years worth of emails and letters asking for my records and receipts.. I was told over and over they sent them, Then they will send them. Then China eat all there info////

I know Guys why would one pay... 1st.. They said it was all done and in the paint booth. 2nd they came very highly recommended by the guy who ran the field for something like 20 years At Pebble beach Concourse who was the shops friend..

He was so discusted with them he is the one who put up the Facebook site, he cant believe somebody could be so dishonest. I had worked the field there also.

This shop tried to get $$$ from there friend telling him 1st That I owed him that $$$. Long story short. he paid them to get the car out of there//

I found out and told him it was paid for in full in almost 2 years ago...... They never answer there phones..

So I skip traced the Office manager.. What a Stand Up person!!!! She Told me, That in Nov 2011 the owner and shop manager had a argument about the full payment because now what are they going to do in her office... he saw us count it out and him put it in his pocket...

Its a mess.. :-( Just trying to get some info on paint and body because I know nothing about Paint...

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Opps

I will try the link again. Goldcountry Autorestorationsscrewedme

If that's does not seem to link.. Try this one. Same place.

https://www.facebook.com/jay.pressman.1?fref=ts

Here is a shot of my Tilt forward Hinges and powder coated from before and after them... the Nice show work is done by me... the chipped up garbage was reinstalled buy the Professional's.... Again I have no idea why they even had to remove these let alone play Hockey with them it seems..

Look at all the washers holding the grill!??? It was a perfict fit... I almost think My car was droped.

Are the new grills a bit undersized???

I am not asking about this.. This is plain abuse.. maybe its a drug problem with them I don't know..

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roof being painted.

and these runs??? any input from on this? Thanks besides being ripped off.. check out the site if you can.. thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
37,236 Posts
I'm sorry but I find your story is incoherent. Very little that you stated makes any sense.

Start over and slow down. Make a list of what's wrong and what work was to be done. Also clearly state what's been paid by who. Does the shop think you still owe them? What are they doing about that? Have they initiated legal proceedings? You do have the car, right?

NOS parts and wondering whether a stock grille fits a fiberglass front end seems odd also.

I'm not trying to beat you up. Just that all this isn't clear at all.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand Rick.

It is not fiber glass.. I did it out of metal around 1970-71 the old grill fit perfect. If you got to trifiv.com on Facebook you can go to this link.

There is so much to list and I can not write as you know.. I wish I could Thanks for all the correct way to do it..
Here is a working link
https://www.facebook.com/jay.pressman.1?fref=ts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can not put all the prices yet I am told By leagal

All they where to do was paint witch would take in the body stripping.. I paid a small amount with checks and the rest was cash..

A year latter they said did not pay... I did They have not filed.. We had a appointment to pick up the car and help them load my parts on the last Friday in june. ( They keep loosing my parts and I go there and find them.)
Thay had a turn over of 4 painters and lots of crew.

The owner expected us there at 8:00 AM Friday per his setting of time etc.

The night before at my old work address 20 minits away form home where my car lived and has a indoor spot.. I am called ane told some onne unloaded my car on the street .. There are no Lic plates. No registration.. and dumped in a bad part of town.. I run down there and told them We have a appointment with the owner the next day. I was just on the phone with him an hour ago I tell the guys. Thay call him and he tells them dump and Run!

I pull out my Driver lic and say u have to load the car and at lest get it off the streets and take it to my home.. The address they are dumping the car is a work address...

Short story he has nothing to file on me.. I have everything to file on them/

He would not give me his Ins. I got it from the Office manager who also knows I paid in full 2 years ago, His insurance inspector came and had attitude.. before 10 - 15 minutes he said this looks like a curbed 93 Toyota.. he was taking photos for over 4 hours!

My Tilt front end used to be very easy to use thanks to a great shop teacher and dad and friends who helped me in 1971.

I was proud of my car.. Now its a embarrassment! A few years ago when I finished the frame off. the guys from Pixar have a show. and one of the big shots said my car was built like a Swiss watch.. the cool part is I am a old Swiss Watchmaker

Now its so bent up you can not get it to close unless its just right... Look at these gaps?? It was perfect before... I paid for all date coded glass.. 2 windows have sand marks and da looking marks. and the windshield is a made in china.. and they lied about that too.

Any ideas why a car would be painted so many times? and why so many runs?
there are runs every where..

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
a few shots of my work before the shop.

They told me they preferred the body on frame so there would be no damage or shifting of the body when they paint it.. made sense to me. Is this the correct way to do It?

Here she was the way I built her.

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
The runs you point out seem to be in the drip rail area...if I'm looking at he picture correctly. If so, I'd say there was body caulk used in the drip rail and what you are seeing is the caulk flexing...just my opinion. I'm not a painter so I don't know if this is how this seam is sealed or not. Best of luck.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
i will not touch a completed car like that for paint . a show job is done apart then it is up to the owner to build it . gaps and such can be dealt with in the build. my guess is either the color did not match or it got chipped up and they did a repair .

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Guys

So I guess they also lied about they would rather have it put back together before paint....

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
dont know if they lied or just were in over their head. it is almost impossible to protect all the shiny stuff during primer and paint. i do all paint work then build. it's just how it's done. the only way i know is to use slime on chassis ans such but only if forced to repair or something. race car guys were the worst. they finished a car then decided to paint.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just found this post.. I lost noticifcations about this time

I am back and The site is working well with my earthlink.

The shop knew better.. I have some sworn statements for a shop manager and office manager.. So your statement about lying seems correct and in line with what his oldest and head employees have told us. They know better that's why I used them on my pride and joy I have owned all these decades and spent my last 5 years doing my dream built to her.. All the things I wanted to do back in school on her.. These guys do Pebble beach cars.. talk about picky.. Does not get picker..

A Link to there site and to the site where there are a lot of photos of the car.
There site; http://goldcountryautorestoration.net/

This Link bellow are photos of the work they did on my car.. was to be done and back in 2011.. was dumped with no lic or reg on a public street. in July 2013.
This is our Link of there work..I Highly Do not recommend..

https://www.facebook.com/jay.pressman.1?ref=tn_tnmn

I Highly Do not recommend.. Seems some other have found me and are having the same problem missing parts broken promises etc.. You should see the letter I have from 3 different folks who found me.

The photo is of the front fender just pocking our saying hello.. You can see there work This front end with the fabricated hood is a Minerva. Big $$$ stuff there... Duisburg's etc. also enclosed one Tom sent me and another of a Dalge they screwed up big time for Pebble beach I was told by the owner of that car..
My car was dumped on the street with glas form others cars... there lawyers are trying to see If the glass in my 55 Chevy trunk is there's.. Seems I got other folks parts back.. But none of mine... so sad to have such a Honest car only to pay to have it torn up.... But though you all would like to see some pretty car photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
it's sad and heart breaking to see a much loved project go south . but sadly it is the norm rather than an exception . larger shops must depend on help . all too often this help does not have the drive and pride it takes to do this type of work. just there for the check. been there done that. i am a one man show for that very reason . i have neither the time, patience nor desire to baby set a shop full of workers. your lesson was harsh and expensive but a lesson non the less . bigger is not always better. i wish you well with your quest and hopefully the joy when done will ease the pain of the lesson . :anim_25:

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,422 Posts
it's sad and heart breaking to see a much loved project go south . but sadly it is the norm rather than an exception . larger shops must depend on help . all too often this help does not have the drive and pride it takes to do this type of work. just there for the check. been there done that. i am a one man show for that very reason . i have neither the time, patience nor desire to baby set a shop full of workers. your lesson was harsh and expensive but a lesson non the less . bigger is not always better. i wish you well with your quest and hopefully the joy when done will ease the pain of the lesson . :anim_25:
My sentiments exactly.

I am also a one man shop with the exception of occasional help from my kids when moving things around.

·
Registered
899 Posts
very nice frame and motor. sorry to hear about your problem. i do all the work myself, i learn as i go. read, listen, and talk to people to find out how to do something. self tought. hope everything works out. jeff

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
These guys at the shop sound like amateur bozos. I never painted before and did a frame off resto painting my own car in pieces and put it together. Not one scratch or boo boo anywhere. No runs anywhere either.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The car is still unscrewing its self...

some of there sales talk as they take you for a tour of the shop.. We work in steel, not plastic. We have an English wheel, bead rollers, tig welder etc.

You saw some of the cars.... here is a letter that has the names redacted as there famous folks who also got screwed.. If you can please stop buy the FB site and say hi or make a comment.

The shops ins. dropped the case because there is no shop coverage for bad workmanship... stolen parts etc.. what????? Still working on it,, as the shops insurance inspector told me in 40 years its one of the top 2 worst... and he thinks the insurance is blowing air..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts