Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Out of wire!!!

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Granpa49!! 
#1 ·
I was welding up some pin holes when all of a sudden the welder stopped feeding wire. I removed the tip but it looked fine. Then I checked the wire spool. Empty. No problem, I'll just hit the "Buy it again" button and buy some more. Big problem. No INEFIL 0.023" mig wire anywhere. Ended up ordering PNG. I bought two 11 lb rolls so I hope to goodness I like it. Did INEFIL stop making 0.023" mig wire? And by the way, delivery sucks right now. Of course, it is Dec 22. I should have checked before now. I was running a 10 pound spool and it thought I was fat and happy. Now it might be after the first before the wire gets here. No local welding suppliers. Car parts stores carry mostly off brands. Bah Humbug!

#2 ·
Believe it or not, I’ve used the HF wire in a pinch and it did fine. I did replace it with a better 10 pound roll from my local welding store later on though.

#10 ·
I actually run HF wire never had an issue. But small variations in size per roll but not enough to matter. Its cheaper and burns in just the same, propley comes from same plant in China as all the rest.

@Granpa49!!
Keep a spare roll on a shelve then when you run out replace keep going, then you can order more to replace the spare roll. I do same with my gas have spare bottle and call when the spare is empty for swap out.

#5 ·
Lowes has 2 lb 0.025 Lincoln for 17.98. Only 31 miles from here. might do that in the morning. Don't want to waste two weeks waiting on wire. Harbor freight carries Vulcan wire. Don't know anything about it. Tractor Supply carries Hobart. I would think that might be a good alternative but I've never used it. Can anyone vouch for it?

#7 ·
Ah, forget the wire for right now. I woke up this morning to 9 degree weather. I don't believe I'll be doing any welding or work of any kind in my unheated shed for the next 3 or 4 days!

In the past I've used lincoln and INE. I like the INE the best. I tried a roll of Forney once but wasn't able to weld effectively with it. I found what was left of it yesterday and tried it again but it had rusted and wouldn't weld at all. It fed thru the hose fine but the minute I struck an arc it would stop feeding. I think I can strip off the first layer and try again. The wire underneath looks pretty good. That was where I was at last night a few minutes before the first post above. They are showing a high of 21 for today. I might not worry about this for the next few days until it warms up a little.

#15 · (Edited)
Most all typical mig wire variants like ER70S-6 are copper alloy coated to prevent flash corrosion. So not going to corrode Unless just left outside. Which is interesting topic may just leave some outside and see how long it lasts.

Never seen any corrode hanging on a roller.

#17 ·
Got the PGN wire yesterday. Used it a little and it welds pretty good. I only had a little bit of work to do so I'm not thru evaluating it yet. I was able to drop the voltage a bit. I may be able to drop it some more which will be alright with me. I may find out about that tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.