Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 57 210 sedan that had the original V8. I had to bore it 60 over to clean up the cylinders and have always had a heating problem that I attributed to thin cylinder walls. I have replaced it with a 383 stroker and a high volume water pump and it is still overheating. The radiator was rebuilt using the copper high efficiency cooling core whhich I was told shhould cool like a 4 core. I have a fan shroud I have added an electric cooling fan and nothing seems to work. It runs cool when your at crusing speed and overheats when driving around in the city. Any suggestions?

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
What temp are you thinking is too hot? I run a 195º thermostat in my 55 and in traffic it gets to about 205º. It never pukes. In my opinion 200 to 205 isn't too hot.

·
4,460 Posts
StarCityGene said:
If you are not "Puking", don't worry about it! Are you sure your gauge is reading properly. I have found that the gauge maybe good, but the sender isn't the correct calibration. NO BLOW, NO WORRY !! :rolleyes:
Now there a man after my heart. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm not sure if I buy into the theory, but I have heard that running a high volume water pump causes the water to flow so fast through the radiator that the water never cools down. Round track cars sometimes run a big washer instead of a thermostat. They always warn not to run without a washer or thermostat to slow the water down. :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
4,460 Posts
Bama, your spot on. No thermostat can and will cause an overheating problem. The radiators job is to dispate heat thru the fins and if the water/coolant isn't in there long enough for that to occurr, BAM puke.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I will be installing a thermostat and see what happens. Bottom line is it dont puke when I am driving it although it has after I shut it off. I also have 2 gauges one in the dash and another in the console they both show hot. I will let you know what happens. Thanks again

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have been running a 350ci without a thermostat for the past 6yrs, I have never had a problem with heating, the highest temp the gauge has ever read is 190 - 200 deg, with a stock 57 rad, mind you i have always used 50/50 antifreeze winter or summer.

Might have something to do with living in the UK ? because of the weather ?? never gets that hot over here..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Overheating

I think I read into your opening statement that you have a shroud and an electric fan. Are you saying you have a clutch fan and a electric fan? If so then you may be blocking air flow by having the electric fan in front of the radiator. Pushing fans do not work as good as pulling fans. Are you sure the electric fan is wired correctly (blowing through not sucking out)? How many CFM's is your fan rated at? Maybe not enough to cool properly in traffic. Do you have AC? If you have a clutch fan..is it working properly?? It has to be in the "fan system" since you have no cooling problems at cruising speed. You don't have "air flow" problem you have a problem with the amount of air going through at idle. Another thought...your timing may be a little retarded. That will cause heating problems too.
Just my 2 centavos!

Mule

·
Registered
142 Posts
Overheating

Sounds more like an air flow issue to me. If you're running normal temps at freeway speed, but you're just having a problem around town, then it sounds like you're not getting enough air through the radiator at slower speeds. What type of fan are you using? You might try changing to fan that will move more air, and you might think about removing the electric fan, at least temporarily, to see if it helps. Most of these cars came from the factory with V8s and no shroud or electric fans and ran forever without overheating. Yours should too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
walt bauer

You might try drilling an eighth inch hole on the flat of the thermostat. That will alleviate any possible air bubbles trapped in the system. If your not concerned with stock appearance, you may want to close the system with an overflow tank. Also I don't know if you said what pressure your radiator cap is, but you may need a different pressure cap.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Taper

Zody you will eventually Taper your Cylinder Bores . I've bored engines with low miles and .025 tapper from the erattic Cooling you get from running with out thermostats. the most common problem with tapered bores is cracks in the piston skirts or broken rings. How mmany miles have you put on it without a themostat? Do you drive very far when you drive it? I'm just Curious since the block you have is a low silicone content block.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had similar problems, but not a temp of 205 that's normal. If you have the opportunity to look at some newer V8 Chevy's with a scan tool hooked up you will see them reach a temp of 215 before the ECM turns on the electric fan to bring it back down to 195. My 55 with a 350 would go to 250 when idling in traffic, then I installed a racing thermostat I bought from Jeg's and it brought it down to 215. The main difference in the racing thermostats is the disc in the center is larger so it circulates more when it cycles. It is a few dollar investment that may work for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am a mechanic by trade( ase,gm certiefied,all that nice junk).The only way a thermostate can over heat a motor, is if it isn't opening properly- no flow or verry little(you can check your radiator hoses after your car warms up-are they both hot?). As far as your temp is conserned- they actually dont sound bad. Most newer chevys run about 220 before the fan relays are kicked on.You might check your electric fans to make sure they are actually working the right way. I had a new car with an overheating problem that i couldn't figure out until the fans kicked in with me leaning over the motor.It seems that the factory wired the fans in reverse. This caused the fan to reverse. They were in front of the motor so they became pusher fans instead of the puller fans like they were intinded.You do have an over fliow tank don't you? If it does'nt boil over when you kill it--you don't puke antifreeze sitting at a stop light,in traffic, or the bank, consider every thing ok:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts