Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning, Has anyone used a Gearvenders under/overdrive unit in their drive line. They make a unit which will fit most transmissions and also one that goes inline behine your cast Iron powerglides units which I have in my 57 Bel Air. I have a Micheal overdrive in my 31 Ford which works very well, But I never heard of the Gearvenders unit before, but It appears to have been around a long time.
Doug

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Doug,
I don't personally have any experience with them However......There are several Bad A$$ Tri Fives and one blown big block '41 Willys here in the Sacramento, California area runnin' them. All the owners love them for cruzin' the highway. I believe they are good for up to 700 hp. Good luck!

Tom

·
Registered
277 Posts
What are you trying to gain by putting a GearVendor into a '57 w/PowerGlide, what do you hope to get out of it? Someone with a manual or auto 4 speed will get a total of 8 forward gears for around 2500 bucks. You with a 2 speed PowerGllide auto will have only 4 forward gears to choice from for same price! I have known about Gearvendors for a long time but never ran one or installed one, after your post I went to there web site and read all I could about them. I have a '57 150 Utility, LT-1, 4 speed that will do around 45 in 1st. 65-70 in 2nd. and so on. To wide of a ratio for the motor so I was looking into a 5 or 6 speed but now will consider this alternative. Thanks for the refreasher post! Lon

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
overdrive

I'm just looking for a way to improve my MPG and long distance tour driving. I put 11,000 miles on my car in the last 18 months.
Doug

·
Registered
277 Posts
Tell us more about your motor, cam, carb, etc. rear gear ratio, tire hight. I just got off the ph. with GearVendors, you can also give them this info and they will tell you what your final ratio will be in high overdrive. I take it you don't want to swap out the PowerGllide for a better trans? Lon

·
Registered
277 Posts
Mike, it wasn't unusual 4 a '55-'57 Chevy 265-283 2 barrell 3 speed to get 17-20 mpg. I once had a '55 4 dr. wagon bone stock 6 cyl. 3 speed/overdrive get 22mpg. Had a rare '67 Camaro Convert, 6 cyl. 4 speed that would do the same. Wish I had them both back! Lon

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
My 6 cyl. 3spd is only getting 15-17 mpg, and that's since I changed from 3:73 to a 3:56 gear. On the road I just feel thats not very economical at today's gas prices. I want to be able to drive across state without putting too much strain on the engine or my wallet.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm waiting for a reply from Gear Venders to let me know if it will be worth the cost to stay with my powerglide which I would like to do. I have a stock 1962 283 in my 57 bel Air with 3.56 rear. 4 Barrel WCFB.
Doug

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I received a reply from Gear Venders they can fit a unit for my Powerglide but it dosn't sound like the way to go. I guess I'll pull out the P/G and go with a 700R4.
Doug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts