Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 57' w/327 gets so hot after 20 minutes of driving that I get what I believe is vapor lock, the car dies, then will start and run fine after 1/2hr or so.

Here is my setup, (installed by previous owner).

-No temp gauge, but there is no doubt that there is WAY too much heat at the stock intake, I am getting a gauge today
-No thermostat installed
-took off radiator, flush w/water, appeared to flow fine and clear
-There is a 4 blade mechanical fan installed and NO shroud, and the fan is at least 6" from radiator
-The radiator is installed on the bumper-side of the core (the car was originally an I6.
-The lower hose is not blocked and has a coil spring inside of it.
-No coolant coming from overflow when it is hot
-timing/dwell are set properly
-water pump appears to be working correctly, no bearing noise and when I spin it coolant moves around in the intake, (hose off)

I can see a couple of problems here, no shroud, distance of fan from radiator

I have a two blade electric fan that I could put on it, it would have to go on the bumper side of the radiator though, as it is just a little too wide to fit in the space between the core supports on the engine side, I would have to either flip the blades or wire the fan the other way so it pushes air through the radiator, correct?

Any thoughts are appreciated, and BTW, I have had my 57 for 2 months and visit this forum often and I have learned SO, SO much from you guys and would truly be lost on some issues. I cannot thank the Tri-Five'ers enough for time and money saved.

Eric

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
My 57' w/327 gets so hot after 20 minutes of driving that I get what I believe is vapor lock, the car dies, then will start and run fine after 1/2hr or so.

-There is a 4 blade mechanical fan installed and NO shroud, and the fan is at least 6" from radiator
-No coolant coming from overflow when it is hot

Eric
I don't think you have a overheating problem if your not getting any coolent out the overflow. The fan clearance with no shroud is a problem. A shroud with the fan blades half in and half out of the shroud would help.
Do you have a vented gas cap? If the tank doesn't have a vented cap, it can create a vacuum and keep the pump from pumping. Turn the cap upside down and fill with liquid to see if it runs through the cap. The vent is usually under the handle.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Agree with Don.I have a 57 with 350 and would run hot.My raditor was close to fan but when I got a shoud dropped at 15 degree's.Could never get one to fit till Classic Chevy came out with a small one and worked great.Also be sure to get a therostate and the right pressure cap

·
RIP 11/24/2021
68,758 Posts
my 49 overheated. :eek: was becauce there was no thermostat. :confused0006:

·
Registered
98 Posts
You need a thermostat as the water goes through the rad before it has time to cool, also fit the shroud and have you the gap closed between hood and rad mount bar as the air will find the least flow,and have the side panels fitted as this was part of my over heating problem.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
shroud

This was put on the heating cooling section but no answers yet any other spots I can get a decent shroud.. See below..Thanks

On My 283 engine the rad is in the v8 position. When I read the ecklers install guide it says I may need to modify the shroud. I have power steering. When they say modify do they mean one cut here etc. Or is it a major modification. Anyone do this on a stock 283 set up.

Can you purchase a generic shroud at your local parts shop?

Thanks Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.