Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am starting the paint phase of this project. I built a paint booth and have been getting some parts painted. i have painted the firewall, inside the trunk, inside the fenders, splash pan and other parts. I will try to get some pictures up as I do them.
Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
That looks fantastic Tom. Well done. You may have a few guys wanting to use your booth as well :sign0020::congrats::tu:tu

·
Registered
67,713 Posts
nice job on the booth, will be a shame to remove it. :tu

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
great!

Excellent job on the paint booth!

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
:tu:tu Looks Great Let us know how it works

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
We will be painting Jacque's Vette before too long and that booth will be a good example to follow....:tu
Cowboy :flag6:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks everybody. It has been working pretty good. I have two box fans that fit in window perfectly. I installed filters over them . I built 6 filters in the doors. I have an old attic fan that was my dads. I close the overhead door down and clamp it to the door. It draws pretty good. Still working things out. Also my floor is epoxy and I have found if I wet the floor the job comes out alot cleaner. My dad was a Carpenter but i am not. But I will say that those summers I worked for him framing houses must have helped. I am not a Carpenter, just a carpenter son LoL. I also built the side door from scratch.

Attachments

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,020 Posts
I have an old attic fan that was my dads. I close the overhead door down and clamp it to the door. It draws pretty good.
Tom, looks good. Does the attic fan pull air out of the garage or blow into the garage toward the booth filters? Does the window fans pull air out of the booth?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don the window fans push a little air into the booth and the attic fan pulls it out. With the windows being high and the attic fan is low, works kind like a down draft (I guess) I am not a painter, But learning.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,020 Posts
Don the window fans push a little air into the booth and the attic fan pulls it out. With the windows being high and the attic fan is low, works kind like a down draft (I guess) I am not a painter, But learning.
That's what I thought. If you block off both side of the attic fan in the doorway, with some plywood, it will draw a lot more air through the booth.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice work on your paint booth!

I think I might have to borrow a page from your book when it comes time to paint my car. I used a tube framed car port and a giant tarp for my home-made paint booth and painted out in the driveway.

I strung up some florescent lights and simply put a box fan in the bottom corner. I love the idea of framing up the door! I got sick of crawling out from under the tarp every time I had to add paint to the gun.

Here's my "booth". I painted my 3/4 ton extended cab, 8' bed Dodge and my buddy's 76 VW Beetle in here:

Funny side story: We had a heck of a time trying to get the best of Mother Nature with this set up. The wind would blow the tarp inwards so we spent lots of time shoring up the sides. I also didn't want any over spray on my black top driveway, so we had a tarp on the ground that wrapped up the inside about 2' all the way around.
At one point we had some pretty nasty wind during a rain storm, and I woke up in the morning to find the entire booth about 30' down in the yard, still exactly the way it was we had set it up. :argh:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Update

Well i have a few things done. I painted the inside of my hood and guage cluster. i also cut in my air conditon vents in the dash. That will make you nervous. They turn out pretty good. Got to make a few touch ups and then i will paint the dash. Things just take longer than you think:sign0020:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts