Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New at restoring TriFives and I was wondering about paint for touch-up or repaint of steering wheel. I was told at purchase I had one color, but am not sure. I know you can not tell from pictures very well, but the 55 gypsy red and 56 matador red look very similar. How much difference is there? Where do you get such paints?

·
Administrator
66,151 Posts
Unfortunately due to paint being faded over years a mix of new paint will stand out like a sore thumb.

You need to match what is currently on the car and even that will stand out :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
Most paint supply stores who sell products to body shops have the ability to "read" the color of your paint and then mix a quantity for you to use for touch-up. My local paint store came extremely close to matching my Matador Red.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Steering wheel

New at restoring TriFives and I was wondering about paint for touch-up or repaint of steering wheel. I was told at purchase I had one color, but am not sure. I know you can not tell from pictures very well, but the 55 gypsy red and 56 matador red look very similar. How much difference is there? Where do you get such paints?
I hope you can post a photo. Since the item you want to paint is the steering wheel. Get Gypsy red and paint it. Unless this is a show car will it really matter? Mike

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a 56. I will check the cowl tag, but it was restored several years ago and I just purchased it. I was told it was gypsy red even though my research says gr for a 55 and matador re for a 56. Not sure if the cowl tag would be correct for what is on the vehicle, but may be. Has anyone seen the two colors side by side to see what the difference is?
I agree with the post that just the steering wheel should not be noticeable too much, so may try it and see - but wanted to try for the closest match. Will also try for paint dealer match.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
56.jpg

56 ba.jpg

New at this tried posting a couple pics.

Can anyone tell from the picture if they think it is gypsy red or matador red?

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
Matador Red has more orange than Gypsy Red. From the pictures posted, yours looks Matador Red. My car is also Matador Red.

[/IMG

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine does seem to have more of that nice orange tint to it so matador would seem right. Your pics look much like mine. That would fit with the paint codes I have researched on a 56 being matador and 55 being gypsy. Looks like the codes fit more than what I was told at purchase. Thanks.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I try a matador red touch-up of the steering wheel would a brush paint or color chip type be ok or is spray needed? It is not major, but want it too look right. I'm not great with the paint gun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts