Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an HVLP gun at a swap meet and have never painted with one before. wondering what pressure to spray at and is it different between primer vs base vs clear coat. any recomendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
36,113 Posts
Every gun is different. Try to get an instruction sheet for it.

Example:

I have a Devilbiss HVLP, it needs 23 psi at the gun inlet.

I also have a Sharpe HVLP gun, it needs 50 psi at the gun inlet to do the same job.

And, believe or not, the Sharpe uses less air flow than the Devilbiss.

If you bought a Chinese made gun, I think most of them need 50 psi at the inlet.

·
Premium Member
19,669 Posts

·
Registered
36,113 Posts
Guys, please note, the examples I gave were for those particular guns to get 10 psi AT THE CAP. HVLP is by definition 10 psi at the cap. 23 psi at the gun inlet for one I have and 50 psi for the other.

Most modern paint is not a factor here and takes the same pressures. But lacquer because it's thinner doesn't need as much pressure.

In the end you have to adjust your gun for its characteristics and what you're spraying. In general more pressure atomizes the paint better.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I have the Devilbliss guns as well. Rick is right on the money. It's based on what the gun manufacturer states but also on what you are spraying. I have a regulator on my gun so I open my air compressor up to about 100 psi and regulate at the gun. Also make sure your tip sizes are correct for what you are spraying.
Josh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts