Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I im a newbie to spraying urethane paint i got spraying primer and base down pretty well however when it comes to spraying clear im struggling. im useing a cheap harbor freight gun and want to step up to a better gun specifically to paint my 56 wagon with and not much else after that any suggestions for a beginner gun that will achieve good results i would like to paint my car tropical turqoise and india ivory trying to stay away from metslics. the car is very straight and rust free im using keystone 3 in one primer sealer to prime the car really dont want to spend more than $300
00 on a gun not going to use it everyday any advice on single stage vs base clearcoat? wagon will be sprayed in my garage. also can i panel paint the car? or will there be color differemces if i shoot a fender one day and a door on amother day ? Please help thanks lynn:confused0024:

·
Administrator
66,671 Posts
I have the colors painted on my 57 as you want to do yours. Mine was painted with clear coat over base coat.
India Ivory top with Tropical Torquise bottom. The top section was painted first then the bottom section then both sections cleared at the same time.

All bolt on panels (doors, trunk lid, hood) was painted in base then cleared off the car.

There were two different Sata guns used for base & clear.
The base coat was mixed in a 10 litre drum enough to do the job.
The clear was mixed as needed.

The job was painted in an oven to try & reduce the amount of dirt nibs in the job.

·
Registered
624 Posts
From one novice to another...

I know you said you didn't want to spend more than $300 bucs, but take a serious look at the Iwata LPH400 gun, just got it myself and used it for the first time this past weekend on some small pieces, see here.... http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110093

VERY pleased with the outcome. As porchdog says, it'll help the novice out in laying down the paint, and I'd have to agree :tu

I too am going with Regal Turquioise and India Ivory on my 55...but just practicing for now on an old hood till I get more confident in using the gun.

:anim_25:

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you are only going to use it once buy the good SATA or Iwata gun and then sell it on ebay when you are finished. Well cared for used guns sell for good money, you will likely lose less than the price of a lower quality gun. You have to shop hard to find a deal on a SATA gun since they tightly control pricing and discourage internet sales.

You can generally panel paint solid colors but I would not recommed it for metallics. That is a whole different ball game.

Don

·
R.I.P. Sept. 8, 2018 Senior Member 2 Gol
2,665 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts