Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Y'all!

I am a complete noob when it comes to painting. I just bought a 60 gallon IR compressor and a new Eastwood Concours spray gun and I'm piping it all up now. My question is not related to painting yet but rather prep. I've searched and searched and didn't find the answer or the answers may be changed if there are newer products out.

I just took possession of a 57 2-door Hardtop Bel Air yesterday and I am beginning the planning. The car is in awesome shape but I am still tearing it down completely. So finally...the question. I intend to work on all of this in my free time which amounts to about an hour or two most days. I plan to clean up a part and store it to paint a bunch of parts at one time. How should I treat them? Spray can primer? Some sort of oil? Examples include the hood latch, wheel skirts, truck lid hinges.

Thanks,

Aaron

The new car in front of my Garage/Workshop

Attachments

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
First of all congrats on the 57! The best advise I can offer would be to read a document from SPI titled "the perfect paint job". Southern polyurethanes inc. explains how to use their epoxy primer. It's much better than 1K prers in a can or even 2K primers you mix. Search online for it, it's easy to find.

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
TW is teaching me on the Vette....believe it or not, my biggest problem is the mask. It smothers me....:anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all congrats on the 57! The best advise I can offer would be to read a document from SPI titled "the perfect paint job". Southern polyurethanes inc. explains how to use their epoxy primer. It's much better than 1K prers in a can or even 2K primers you mix. Search online for it, it's easy to find.
Thanks Fiddy5. I found the document and I will be sure to use it when I get to lay the primer and painting.

TW is teaching me on the Vette....believe it or not, my biggest problem is the mask. It smothers me....:anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive
May I ask, who or what is TW?

I guess my question still sorta remains. What can I do between cleaning the part and priming if not doing it right away? What I'm trying to do is avoid setting up my gun to shoot one small part with primer and I know it will take me several days to get enough parts prepared to spray.

Thanks for all your help.

- Aaron

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would like to think being that your located in Texas just letting them sit as bare metal until you can prime them would be fine. I would just wipe them down with some prep solvent and then tack cloth right before you shoot primer.
I would not use any kind of oil.

I am located in N.Y and I have had body panels stripped down to bare metal for almost two years, I do have some small areas of surface rust, but I am now in the stages of spraying primer. A light hit with some 80 grit on the DA and I'm good to go.

Good Luck with whatever you do.
Ben Vanderbush

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looks like a nice car. You mentioned it is in awesome shape, and as always, a owner can do whatever they want to with their vehicle, but if the Chevy is in really good condition, you may want to reconsider spending untold hours and many thousands of dollars converting a car in great shape to a car in great shape that you just sunk a fortune in time and money into.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like a nice car. You mentioned it is in awesome shape, and as always, a owner can do whatever they want to with their vehicle, but if the Chevy is in really good condition, you may want to reconsider spending untold hours and many thousands of dollars converting a car in great shape to a car in great shape that you just sunk a fortune in time and money into.
I should clarify that it is in awesome shape for a 56 year old car. It still needs a lot of work to become a really great car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts