Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I'm old school. Used laquare 25 years ago so my question wasn't a problem.
Now for the first time I'm going to use the base coat clear coat paint. Not for my question. When painting the roof, I will start on riders side and work my way around to the other side. But when I get the other side and painting my way to the drivers front and where the paint meets the paint where I started, there will probably be over over spray that will get on the paint where I started. (at least with laquare there would be). Is there a way to eliminate that problem? How do I do? Thanks

·
Registered
37,963 Posts
You deal with it the same way you would with lacquer, except that lacquer flashes quicker than bc/cc, so bc/cc is easier in this regard.

Remember that when spraying base, you are laying down color. Not color and shine. You just want even coverage.

But you'll have the same situation with the clear. More important to blend well with clear. The clear doesn't flash as quickly as lacquer so it's a little easier.

·
Registered
482 Posts
i would start front to back like you said , but then move to the other side and work front to back , instead of back to front ... that way where you started wont be quite as set up .. and will flash in better .. just my thoughts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appriecate all your help as its right on. I also talked to a local paint guy and he suggested about the same thing. he said divide the roof into 1/4, start at one corner, paint from the outside of the roof and work to the center, then hurry and get the the other side, start at the center where you just left off and paint outward. Hurry and go back to the other side and repeat on the unpainted areas. He said to put it on somewhat heavy to keep it from flashing over, but not so heavy it runs. He also said to use a low temp thinner. One that dries slow.
All your answers are right on and pretty much go along with each other.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can also use some clear coat blender to help melt in the overpray area. It might help cut down on the watersand and buffing in the end.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Sounds like a lot of jumjping around. Also stirring up any loose debris as well as hurrying to get from side to side. Recipe for disaster (for me anyway). I painted my sedan delivery this fall. I already had the front clip done (it was off), so I started at the driver front middle of roof and worked it to the driprail and back to middle of roof to drip rail, then down the sides front to back. Went around the back end of car and roof to passenger side. Went to pass. side front and finished the roof, then finished down the side front to back and blend the reat of back tail in. Turned out good. As far as the clear and overspray, it was minimal and I was going to be wet sanding anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts