Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Canadian gas tank after reading lots of comments on tri five. So my question to everyone now is do I paint the tank or just put it in. It's is the glav tank and not the ss one. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Going to take 0000 steel wool and go in one direction and clear to simulate SS.I think I'm going to make my gas straps out of SS and rubber line them. Do NOT forget to run a ground strap to your tank to insure your gas gauge works properly.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Don't powdercoat it. I tried that and the heat from the oven weakened the solder on the drain plug platform and it seeped gas. I also tried rubber strips under the straps but could never get a good ground, even with a ground wire to the sender. After removing the rubber the gauge worked well.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
My undercarriage is all painted with Eastwood Frame Satin Black so I just painted the tank the same color. I already had SS straps so just reused them. With the way the car sits with the back end up, I think it looks pretty 'cool' and 'old school' with the chrome diff cover and the SS straps...others may not like it but I could care less:)

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
It`ll last 57 years with no paint. :sign0020: :anim_25: bowtie-trifive :gba:

·
Registered
67,783 Posts
clear coat will make it look nicer. me, i'm lazy and would just put it in the way it came. :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
I painted mine with Eastwoods gas tank paint. That stuff is useless as it comes off if you spill gas on it.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I recently bought a Canadian gas tank after reading lots of comments on tri five. So my question to everyone now is do I paint the tank or just put it in. It's is the glav tank and not the ss one. Any suggestions?
When I replace mine I will install as is no paint. Remember I only take the car out on nice days and don't drive in winter. Should last longer than original.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts