Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep trying to get up the ambition to start spraying,but I end up getting cold feet.I have spent quite a bit on paint and supplies,and I lost all the directions they gave me for thining and reducing along with hardner for the brand they gave me.For clear coat there three parts,and the primer is a high build,plus they sold me a quart that they say is done without etching.I guess it has it in the primer.Do you etch the motor and tranny,so the paint doesn't chip or peel when you paint it.Thanks guys.Hope I force myself to start.Wish I could find someone close by that is starting to paint so I can observe.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I never painted with the base coat/ clearcoat system. The last time I painted was in 1989. I would sugest going to a body shop and asking to watch a painter at work and then get him to describe what he is doing and why. That way you may understand better or you may decide to have someone else shoot it for you. I have painted with the Centari by Dupont. Mix the paint with reducer and gloss hardner in the proper proportions and spray it on.
Dave

·
Registered
258 Posts
you want to use self etching on any bare metal spots. urethane primers dont have rust preventive measures in them. as far as self etching primer primarily alll that i have used mix 1:1. you can confirm this if both containers are the same size. most build primers that are urethane mix 4:1 the one part being the catalyst. if you bought a gallon the hardner should come in a quart. if you bought a quart then it will have about a half pint of hardner. tell me what brands the stuff is and i can probably tell you the mix ratio. hopefully this helps
roger

1 - 5 of 5 Posts