Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Griffin cross flow radiator and it is "raw' not polished or coated in anyway that I can tell has anyone ever "cleared" these type radiators or other wise put any kind of coating on them? If so what did you use?

Joe:wavey:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I would check with the manufacturer. This could be a real PITA to undo if a problem arises. Err on the side of caution.

Don

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
I have a Griffin cross flow radiator and it is "raw' not polished or coated in anyway that I can tell has anyone ever "cleared" these type radiators or other wise put any kind of coating on them? If so what did you use?
Joe:wavey:
I would not clear it without polishing it. It will look like it is painted gray if you do. Do a test and you will see what I mean.

I'd either leave it the way it is or polish it. Ever tried Wenol? Good stuff for that.

After you do that, I say forget the clear and buff it a little with Wenol once and a while to keep it looking spiffy.

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,369 Posts
I painted the core of mine black. I used a self-etching paint to ensure it stayed painted. Paint tends to flake off aluminum.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,410 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I had the Griffin radiator that I used in my last Cobra painted...the entire radiator. It was on the car for the 7 years I owned the car and I never had a problem. It never peeled, flaked or anything...it was painted with POR high temp satin black. Never had a heating issue because of the paint.

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
Actually, I've read many times that a black color dissipates heat better.
Don't have any idea why color would make a difference, but evidently it does.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Yes he did ask about clear "or any other kind of coating"--paint is a coating:)

Eastwood used to have a hi-temp clear rattlecan finish the could be used on aluminum intake manifolds and such I never used it so have no idea how it works or looks.
Yet as already stated unless the radiator was polished out it would have a dull/grayish look to it. Using Wyneol, Flitz, or even an aluminum wheel polish like Mothers or Mequirs, will result in a nice finish that is easy to touch up. I painted the core(rattlecan hi-temp black) and polished the top/sides/bottom on the aluminum radiator in my Vicky streetrod using Mothers wheel polish, easy to touch up when needed which wasn't often and just a slight buffing would shine it right up.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guys all great ideas as always!. I lean toward the POR satin black I have used it before and it did work well . I do like the idea of polishing and then using a high temperature clear like VHT or maybe the Dublicolor high temperature clear. i'll post pics when I do one or the other. Thanks for all the replies!

Joe:shakehands:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts