Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first painted my 56 2dr back in 1984 I used a single stage Acrylic Urethane from PPG. It has held up well but it is now time to repaint. Has anyone used any Restoration Shop products? Looking around they are about half the price of PPG. I know the old saying "you get what you pay for" thats why I am researching the various brands now out there. I just did the bed on PU with PPG bc/cc and they charged me $210 qt. for the bc.

I would appreciate any ideas or input on good paints available out there.

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
I think the biggest problem with the "value line" paints is that they aren't going to match OEM colors very well or at all. But that shouldn't be a problem if you're going to do an overall paint job, as long as they offer you a color you want and like.

The other problem with the less expensive stuff is that it often takes more material to cover and hide - so the cost difference isn't what it appears to be on a gallon for gallon comparison.

·
12,256 Posts
When I first painted my 56 2dr back in 1984 I used a single stage Acrylic Urethane from PPG.
I didn't know acrylic urethane paints were even available in 1984. Are you sure it wasn't acrylic enamel?

I just did the bed on PU with PPG bc/cc and they charged me $210 qt. for the bc.
Wow, it must be one of the red/orange colors to be that high. :eek:

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
I think acrylic urethane was just becoming available then. Certainly Imron was available then, we were painting trucks with it in the late 70s. I think Imron was called "polyurethane". I'm not real sure of the difference between "polyurethane" and "urethane" is other than the name. There are no "mono-urethane" products that I've heard of.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could be wrong on the acrylic urethane although I do remember using a hardener. I see your point on the color issue, the black should not be much of an issue but the India Ivory needs to be correct. Does anyone have any experince with Sherwin-williams? I am really interested in what others are using and finding works well.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,522 Posts
the tcp global is the House brand version of ppg concept acrylic urethane it sprays well and holds up great . and about half the cost. I have painted seveal cars with it and have not had any complaints yet . just my opinion :bowtier:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The PPG I just sprayed was a Dark Blue Poly on a 93 Ford PU. ( glad it was not my truck) I am going to repaint the same colors I now have on the 56, India Ivory over Onyx Black. These should not be as pricey.

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
Your $210/quart was for what color? Red/orange/yellow are going to cost more than others. Metallics will cost more than solids of simlar hues.

It doesn't sound all that out of line for a red paint.

·
Registered
622 Posts
TCP Global

When I first painted my 56 2dr back in 1984 I used a single stage Acrylic Urethane from PPG. It has held up well but it is now time to repaint. Has anyone used any Restoration Shop products? Looking around they are about half the price of PPG. I know the old saying "you get what you pay for" thats why I am researching the various brands now out there. I just did the bed on PU with PPG bc/cc and they charged me $210 qt. for the bc.

I would appreciate any ideas or input on good paints available out there.
[
/QUOTE]
Hello, when you say "restoration Shop" are you referring to the TCP Global, restoration shop? I have been using TCP Global paint/products for the last 3 yrs, and have had no problem with them and very happy with the results. I do not use their cheapest products, I usually call them and ask and tell them the quality that I am going for, ask for their advice. They have all the original formula's for our 5,6,7's and I especially like there urethane base coats.
Hope this helps
Mike

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I am referring to the TCP Global. Glad to hear from users. Was not sure if they were worth trying or not. Sounds like it should be ok. I will give them a call and see what they think/say.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts