Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've just begun...

working on my '56 Bel Air and have used spray-can primer and a gloss, spray-can black but have read on here about POR15 which is apparently much harder and seals to prevent rust much better. I've ordered some of it and am waiting for its arrival. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,532 Posts
I used epoxy primer and acrlic urethane gloss black on mine

·
Premium Member
16,181 Posts
What kind of coating have you used to paint the inner front fenders? (inside and outside)
It really depends on if you are doing a correct restoration or a modified car as to what color and amount of gloss you use. Stock resto should be a semi gloss black in and out. A modified or custom car can be anything you want it to be. Any color should have a good epoxy primer under it.

-Bruce

·
Registered
434 Posts
HELLO.....For the engine bay side Por15 does a nice job...and for the inside DUPLI COLOR Truck Bed Coating in a spray can is great.I know lots of guys who use this stuff for inner fenders,inner doors,quarters etc. and swear by this stuff and is only like $10.00 a can.
Hope this helps a little
Paul

·
Registered
865 Posts
Paint

Paint is an interesting subject. I some how got into painting Vette's and a few show cars after my tour in the Army and during College, good $$.

With the inner fenders and small parts I would Power Paint !!

I started making Molds for a Vette parts for two friends that owned a Vette
Sales, parts and body shop. They were strickly a Vette shop. I knew the two owners first as a parts customer. I did all of the repairs on my Vette and my
friends that had Vettes and Chevy's,,,College Fund $$$.

When my '67 Vette Ragtop front fender was hit in a parking lot I was stuck with a small crack that I knew would grow. So my buds that owned the Vette shop said "you fix it - you already make all of our molds. So I got all of the info I could on repairing and painting Vette glass bodies.

I fixed the fender, what a mess.

I was lucky enough to meet a factory rep who flooded me with info and personal assistance - training. This man was very skilled and had a great deal of knowledge. He knew the ins and outs of prep and painting metal and glass bodies.

So with that,

When I repaint my now growing pile of parts, new inner fenders and the new 9 inch rear end set, and a bunch of brackets now in a pile = they will all GO to the Local Power Paint shop. They clean, sand blast and power paint for about the same $$ if I had the parts blasted and purchase high quality paint. \\

But, that is not always the rule...

When I have to paint parts that don't make sense to power paint or the friend that owns the parts insists on spraying quality paint, I use Del Star for the finish coat..

RUST,,

So for painting floor boards, corners, small parts and so on I treat any rust with OSPHO [Phosphoric Acid], several times. There are different brand names Ask you paint shop. Use with caution. Marine stores carry it also, West Marine.

PRIMERS

Some primers require a metal prep and some do not. So, check the brand and type that fits your needs. Some primers need a coat of paint within a short time frame,, some don't !!

I primer with "Feather Fill" A very tough polyester primer by Evercoat. Note there are several different types of Feather Fill. They are a great two part primer. Once it is cured is durable, sandble and you can clean the sandings dust off with Acetone.

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=70

Tough Paint,,,

When it comes to Tough paint I always use Del Star. It's tough and not to difficult to spray for undercarraige parts. I still have some difficulty painting with Del Star when out of practice. But, for floor boards, frames, inner fenders and so on - It is a durable paint. BUT Not Cheep.

This is a great paint for an exterior paint, but it takes a great deal of skill and practive. I use PPG products for finish paint. PPG has a vast varity to select from and its much easier to apply. Better Sheen too !!

Del Star vs Powder Paint.

For me there are many places were powder paint just isn't practicle. Thats usually under a car on in the floor boards. Del Star wins here.

But, Powder Paint is tough... When I have to make a decision between powder and spraying Del Star, I quote out the price for the ""drop of the parts"" at the power painters and the cost of all of the Del Star paint, primer, sand blasting, sand paper,,,, and ..

On small removable parts I have found Powder Painting is only a little more costly. We wait for the parts... And I don't have the mess to clean up...

Good Luck,,

Michael..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am not doing a 100% restoration but more of a driver. I have already blasted and primed the insides but not the wheel sides.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Body color on the engine side... Body color and spray u/c on the tire side.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I powdercoted mine, any color is available and nice hard surface you can still under coat if wanted, or paint in the futute.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Por 15 satin black for the fenderwells as is the frame and firewall, undersides were then coated with GM undercoating

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
My inner fenders, frame, suspension parts and brake calipers are all painted with SPI black epoxy primer. It has a nice semi-gloss finish and does not need to be topcoated if not in the sun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts