Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would post an update on my project. I've been working for the last few weeks on getting ready for primer on my 2 door post. Its been basically apart for about 3 years but has been getting alot of work done on it this summer. I will Drive it next summer!!!! I've been doing alot of hammer and dolly work and using as little bondo as I can. I had the fenders and doors finished but had never painted anything so was waiting for my friend Steve, who was a car painter many years ago, to come up and give me some basic lessons on painting.
It is hard to tell how smooth you have something when you have bare metal green bondo and red glaze in multiple layers looking like a soup . I would just shut my eyes and run my hand over it repeatedly to find the spots that needed more attention. this apparently worked pretty good.
My friend came up this morning and within an hour I was spraying primer and had my doors and fenders primered. I have more areas of the car ready but found that 2 quarts of primer don't really go very far.
I also found out the shut the eyes and rub method works well as the panels came out really nice.
Steve was also really inspired as he'd forgotten how much he enjoyed painting. We had a ball.
I can't wait for the paint store to open so I can get some more primer. I have the firewall all smoothed and it's calling me.
:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
a good way to check is to spray the panel with black primer then sand it. If there is black paint left, then you know where your low spots are...

·
Registered
55 Posts
when looking for high and low spots on metal, lay a cloth on the metal then gentley rest your finger tips on the cloth. Close your eyes and begin to move the cloth around and you will be surprised as to the sensitvity of your finger tips thru the cloth.

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Guys
The reason the rag works it allows you to consentrate on the repair without feeling the changes in material such as primer to steel or filler to primer , which all carry different tempritures and relay mixed messages to your hand thinking there are high and lows. Spraying guide coat on is as (H.O.Power mentioned) is a way you can really super tune the panel before painting and will pick up things the rag will not tell you. Again the rag works great but that is in the early parts of the prep work . When you guide coat you pick up the most smallest improfections and realy make for a superior finish for a show quality paint. Sounds like you are almost there I hope you took some photo's to share :D Cause we cant wait to see :) ;)

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I only wish "rubbing " my hand over the area would also repair it. The body my 55 is pretty darn straight but it's still been a LOT of work and time:eek: My plans are to paint it by September

1 - 7 of 7 Posts