Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck will have to be flat black for now, so, I'm thinking of dropping some purple accents in in various locations. One is the brake drums.

Today I picked up Rustoleum "Gloss Grape" to use on them, it's like a semi-candy color, but not really bright. The next lighter color that was I going to get was satin lilac, but our local store was out of that one.

I'll try the Gloss Grape and see if I like it. If it doesn't "pop" behind the wheels the way that I'm hoping, I'll scout out the lilac. Stay tuned for pics!

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
My truck will have to be flat black for now, so, I'm thinking of dropping some purple accents in in various locations. One is the brake drums.

Today I picked up Rustoleum "Gloss Grape" to use on them, it's like a semi-candy color, but not really bright. The next lighter color that was I going to get was satin lilac, but our local store was out of that one.

I'll try the Gloss Grape and see if I like it. If it doesn't "pop" behind the wheels the way that I'm hoping, I'll scout out the lilac. Stay tuned for pics!
Use a light color primer?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the issue I'm predicting is, the wheels are chrome. So, I need something darker than the chrome color that will make the paint color visible, but, not so dark that it won't be able to be seen in the slots. The grayish primer that I think you're reference may end up blending with the color of the chrome (just thinking out loud).

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Well, the issue I'm predicting is, the wheels are chrome. So, I need something darker than the chrome color that will make the paint color visible, but, not so dark that it won't be able to be seen in the slots. The grayish primer that I think you're reference may end up blending with the color of the chrome (just thinking out loud).
I have no idea of the color shade and was thinking it was dark and the drums being dark that the true color would come out with a lighter primer. Try some samples on some small metal squares and place them behind the slots and see how they show, before painting the drums.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no idea of the color shade and was thinking it was dark and the drums being dark that the true color would come out with a lighter primer. Try some samples on some small metal squares and place them behind the slots and see how they show, before painting the drums.
Yep, definitely want to see, first- thanks for the input!!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I've already painted my test cardboard, but have to wait a couple of hours before I can pull the wheel and get a shot. Stay tuned, and glad to hear you guys are interested!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The test card looked great to me, so I just went with it! Will post pics tonight!!

·
Registered
3,693 Posts

Well I never imagined that the color "Gloss Grape" was not a shade of purple. Appears to be shade of red?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Too much crap on the screen with all the ads changing to the right and between the posts.
If you're surfing the net on a PC and not using an ad blocker, well, you're a more patient and tolerant man than I am. I use uBlock Origin myself but there are others.

Reactions: zookpr

·
Registered
68,225 Posts
sounds good, looking forward to pics Pman.

·
Administrator
66,662 Posts
A darker color on the drums wont stand out as much as a bright color, usually I have seen the contrast on modern car calipers which are red and yellow.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Duplicolor Caliper enamel with ceramic - good to 500 deg. F. It says "Ideal for calipers, drums and rotors" right there on the label so you know it is good. Just like all the stuff you read on the internet. I went ahead and painted my diff housing with it too. Not exactly factory.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
732 Posts
Several people make caliper paint, Rustoleum, POR15, etc., but the only purple one I've seen so far is G2. I am sure there are probably others. I would think you would want to use caliper paint for drums and rotors since it is hi temp and somewhat chemical resistant.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Never got into making my suspension or brake components stand out. I've always gone the other way and either used high temp clear if I wanted them to look bare, or just painted them black. I like the subtle look vs. the "hey look at these" look.
I see aa few cars at shows where they paint parts bright colors, like hot blue, red, yellow, and then get matching wire loom covers and use the same colors under the hood to cover all the various wiring harnesses, and hoses. Not for me, as I prefer that stuff to either blend in, or be hidden.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts