Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am not knowledgeable enough in paint and bodywork I have question regarding repainting. My car was originally painted with Dupont lacquer now it is really starting to show it's age(16yrs)it is checking and crazing, the hood is the worst other areas are showing minor crazing and since it is a driver it has the typical road rash and minor dings. The body has no rust just a couple of areas of basically surface rust like at the rear of the drip rails, it was orignally a Arizona car and when stripped for the original paint there was only minor rust it was taken care of at the time.

I've been to four highly recommended body shops and have four different opinions. Two shops want to strip the entire car to bare metal for a repaint telling me the new paints won't adhere to laquer ???? and two shops say just the hood and that a couple of crazing area(mostly on both lower rear quarter panels) need to to be stripped and that with proper surface prep and sealing of the current finish there will be no problem????. All four shops will of course repair the minor dings and dents.

So who's right? there is about a $1500-2000 difference in cost doing an entire body strip. This car is and always will be for me a driver not a show queen.

Any help or education on this would help...I just don't want to spend unnecesary funds if I'm being sold a bill of goods.

Thanks

Gary

·
Registered
36,113 Posts
Amen. If you don't strip it, you'll have more checks and cracks in a couple of years. Maybe a couple of months. I guess that's OK if you're going to flip the car and burden the next guy. Otherwise step up and do it right.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. I do know that a proper foundation is needed for any paint project and I had thought that you couldn't apply paint over laquer. I was wondering because two shops said to strip it back to bare metal and the other two were just going to strip like the hood and the rear quarters and they both said that with a proper surface prep and a primer/sealer over the laquer and with the quality of the new automotive paints that there would be no problem.

It's amazing that the light blue has not one sign of checking or crazing and it too is Dupont laquer...all four shops told me that some colors of laquer were more prone to the checking and crazing with age.

The two shops that want to strip the entire car have done show winning paint jobs on customers cars and they are both way more in cost overall. One shop that told me they would just need to strip my hood and rear quarters my brother-in-law used to have his "A" sedan painted this spring. The "A" had orginally been painted with black laquer and was showing its age and they just stripped the worst areas, sealed/primed, then repainted it...it looks very good but it is only 4 months old.
I plan on keeping this car for some time so I'll probably go the strip it route and bite the bullet but am still wondering about the two different approaches to a repaint??? like I said I have little knowledge of auto painting techniques.

I would have my cousin prep/paint it and he would soda blast the car to bare metal but he is very meticulous when doing a custom job... but he is extremely busy and said he doesn't want to take on another custom paint job right now as he is doing a '67 Chevelle and a '69 GTO and he still needs to finish my Anglia...said he would take it on maybe in Jan. if he gets the Anglia done by then but I might not get the car back for 6-9 months.

I just want a good, nice looking paintjob, I'm not looking for a "show" quality job. BTW all four shops are clean and very orderly and they all came highly recommended by other car guys who have either used them or know someone who has.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
you have 2 shops that know better and 2 that don't.....:) i've done it and always made sure the guy knew that sooner or later it would fail . even with epoxy over it it will star up and fail. just the nature of the beast. then factory lacquer wears off and fades , thick repaints will solvent pop and star. :anim_25:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts