Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi finally got moved into a bigger nicer house. finally able to begin on my 56 210 wagon. This car is 99% rust free one half dollar hole in the floor thats all the rust in the whole car my question is the car is 97% primed in a yellow toned high build priner i believe? not sure what the primer is? Ive painted past project cars in laquer easy to paint and easy ro fux mistakes it obviously rains alot in oregon so i want to use a paint that is durable abd forgiving to spray. my color choice is either going to be sierra gold and adobe beige or teal and white. ive never sprayed two stage metalics or any clear at all. besudes laquers i unsure of my confidence level to jump into new territory. i have a nice compressor to handle the sray gun ive had a new gun from harbor freight for awhile not sure if this kit is going to be good enough to spray with. item #94572 what is thebest paint to use if i pant the car teal and white can i use single stage and spray body parts individually as time allows or do i need to spray everything at one time and if i go with adibe beige and sierra gold whi:bowtieb:ch is my favorite choice so far any product recomendations would be appreciated this is all new to me the car has a yellow toned primer on the bidy not sure what it is thanks lynn

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hey Lynn,
You will need to know or find out what that primer is and how long it's been on there.
Or better yet remove it and start from scratch.
It's best to have an entire paint system all matched from the metal to the final finish, whether lacquer, enamel or whatever else.

That gun kit looks OK.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick responce it appears the primer has been on the car for a few years any suggestions thank you lynn

·
Registered
270 Posts
If it's anything other than epoxy, it will need to be removed.
If there is no way to tell what it is, you should remove it to be safe.
If you don't, you will have problems.
If it's a lacquer based primer for instance, there is a ton of stuff under that primer that you can't see. Stuff you don't want to see once you get your final coat on.
It's a lot of work, but necessary....and worth it in the long run!

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
If you are not experience in painting, I think you would be better off using single stage paint. :anim_25: bowtie-trifive :gba:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Don't let the base coat clear coat scare you. I went from lacquer paint to single stage and now to the basecoat clearcoat, I drove the guy at the motorcycle shop nuts with a million questions about the clear. Finally, he just said it's paint! I'm not a professional painter. But it was really easy to do. I think it's easier to repair than single stage. As for that primer it's got to go. Even epoxy primer if it's out there for a couple years. You can bet there's some Rust travel ing around under it and it will bite you later. I hope this helps

·
Registered
228 Posts
Your avatar sure looks familiar. Did you buy this wagon from Kris in Silver Lake/Everett? He and his dad painted my DD truck in trade for one of my 56 Deliveries. If it's not the same car, just ignore this response. I have absolutely no idea on paint, guess that puts us in the same boat. Butch/56sedandelivery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts